C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with bad paint job

Old 03-03-2003, 07:01 PM
MGSFJET
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with bad paint job

Just picked up my '76 from the body shop. The work order by the body shop stated "repair & repaint entire car approx. $3500". The job was to include stripping the car and painting it black - basic - base & clearcoat.

Assuming the bodyshop did a complete job and after paying the balance due for a total of $4005.44, I had a towing company (no motor/tranny) deliver the car to my mechanic.

My mechanic critiqued the paint job and called me immediately. I ran straight over and found the following...cracks are showing through the paint on the both upper front fenders, the paint has an orange peel appearance, there are swirl marks everywhere, there are pits everywhere,the brand new emblems show scuff/buff marks, the nose emblem moves to the touch, the rear emblem isn't completely attached, overspray everywhere, etc., etc.

Any suggestions on how to handle this...keeping in mind the shop still has rocker panels and headlight bezels to finish.

Old 03-03-2003, 07:11 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Help with bad paint job (MGSFJET)

Start with a friendly call to the shop and describe the car and explain your position. I would't get too upset or make any rash decisions until they have had an opportunity to explain their side. They could make things easy, stand by their work and repaint the car at no additional cost.

They probably will not cover the cost of towing back to their shop. I would agree on that point since the car should have been inspected by you prior to its leaving.

There is no point in trying to figure out your next move until you speak to them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with bad paint job