C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long-term storage question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 04:00 PM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Long-term storage question

I am getting ready to move to Germany for four years. I have had a lot of advise if I should take the vette with me or not. First of all, I am leaving immediately for Kuwait for who knows how long. Then, the brakes are good for the US but not too sure for overseas. Anyway, I need to know what type of things to do to the car before storage. Also, what should I expect to find when I get back after four years?
Thanks in advanced.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:35 PM
geezer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Long-term storage question (scottw)

The three biggest things that kill a car in long storage are oxygen, sunlight and moisture. There is a company out there (and forgive me for not remembering the name, try a web search) that makes plastic bags large enough to store a car in. I read about a GT-40 stored in one of these for years. They drained the gas and ran the fuel system dry. Pushed the car into the bag. Wood over carpet pads underneath 4 jackstands. Car up on the stands to relieive the suspension. Open the windows, crack open the doors and T-tops so the weatherstripping won't take a set. Pull the battery out and sell it or give it to a good friend. Now here's the cool part. They hooked up a shop vac to the bag and pulled all the air out, then reinflated the bag with argon gas and sealed the bag tight! Argon is an inert gas so no oxidation can take place. Toss a tarp over the bag to keep the sun out and you should be set.
Good luck and I hope your stay overseas is short and uneventfull! :flag
Old 03-03-2003, 07:09 PM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Long-term storage question (scottw)

You could drop it by Tulsa on your way out. Miranda would love to have a playmate.

Get notified of new replies

To Long-term storage question

Quick Reply: Long-term storage question