C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a good link with step by step engine removal instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 01:05 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Anyone have a good link with step by step engine removal instructions?

I'm getting itchy to pull the engine so I am trying to get as much done ahead of time as I can.

I've got everything disconnected and drained.

Next the hood comes off, the radiator and condensor come out.

From there, what do I need to do? (with photos for those of us who haven't done it before ;) )

Specifically, do I need to completely remove the tranny or can I just drop it?

Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2003, 01:22 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Default Re: Anyone have a good link with step by step engine removal instructions? (phoenix)

Mike I don't have a procedure written but I can help you out with questions. Give me a call if you want,I'll IM you my number.
Gary
Old 03-03-2003, 01:37 PM
fishman
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone have a good link with step by step engine removal instructions? (phoenix)

You can leave the condensor inplace. Just unbolt the AC from the motor and tie it out of the way. Do the same for the power steering pump and leave the hoses connected. The tranny does not need to come out. Support the tranny with a floor jack and wood block(so you dont damage the pan) and remove the 4 bolts from the fly wheel and the 6 bolts that connect the motor to the tranny (you may need a swivel socket extension for one of the 6 bolts). Turn the motor with a large socket on the Crank pulley so that you can get to the fly wheel bolts when removing them. Next unhook the starter and you should be ready to go. Hook up your engine picker to the front driver side and rear passenger side of the intake manifold( there should be eyelets already attached to the motor in these places,if not run the intake bolt through the chain with some good washers for support and screw the bolt back into the intake)
Lift the jack just enough to make the chain tight then remove the motor mount bolts. Kind of lift the front of the engine a few inches higher than the rear and pull the engine forward at the same time. It should pop right out. Make sure you check, recheck and then check again, and check one more time to make sure everything is unhooked as you bring it out. I forgot to remove a clamp that holds my tranny cooling line to the motor and now have to buy new lines.......

I am sure that I missed something, but these are the basics. Pick up a Haynes shop manual at the auto parts store. Lots of good pictures and instructions.

Good Luck

:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone have a good link with step by step engine removal instructions?

Quick Reply: Anyone have a good link with step by step engine removal instructions?