C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POR-15 Drive and half shafts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Koz

Default POR-15 Drive and half shafts?

Since the drive and half shafts are out.. how do you clean them up.. meaning they have surface rust on them.. I heard that the POR-15 comes with a cleaner.. Do most of you paint these or just reinstall.. Can the POR-15 cause any problems other than lighten my wallet? Flat color over gloss? Best place to purchase.. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-03-2003, 01:47 PM
vettery
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: POR-15 Drive and half shafts? (Koz)

RestoMotive Laboratories (makers of POR-15) Have a degreaser (Marine Clean) and a rust neutralizer (Metal-Ready). If you use these products according to their instructions along with the POR-15 you won't have to paint again. For surfaces not exposed to sunlight, top coating is your option. The black is available in gloss or semi-gloss. Sure you can top coat the gloss with flat. Just follow the instructions and top coat before full cure. I always buy factory direct from the WEB. Do a search on POR15.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: POR-15 Drive and half shafts? (vettery)

I recommend using the Metal Ready with any POR-15 job. It preps the metal and helps the POR-15 bond better. I did not use it on parts of my frame and those parts are starting to peel. That is not a job you want to do twice.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:45 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used POR-15 on my rear end - crossmember and half shafts when I rebuilt the rear end - most of these parts I had blasted so I did not use any metal prep on them - after a full year they still look perfect with a high gloss. Everything depends on prep - however POR-15 claims that it can be applied directly over rust - I have never tried it - I would at the very least wire brush a part and clean with acetone or lacquer thinner prior to applying - their metal prep would certainly be a good way as well.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:03 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: POR-15 Drive and half shafts? (fauxrs)

I used POR-15 on my half shafts and driveshaft. I had them sandblasted too. I took them out in my driveway, hung them from my ladder and sprayed them with the metal prep. So far it has been almost 2 years and they still look great. Just had the driveshaft out of the car the other day and still looks like I just did it.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:13 PM
sray454
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not so sure painting drive shafts and half shafts is a good idea - I wonder if it would throw them out of balance ... ???
Old 03-03-2003, 04:18 PM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: POR-15 Drive and half shafts? (70454)

I also planning on using POR-15. I want to start off using it on the raditor support and surrounding area. What do you prefer for a stock look...gloss or semi-gloss? What did you use on the under carraige...gloss or semi?
Old 03-03-2003, 04:26 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Location: Sometimes I wonder... why is that frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: POR-15 Drive and half shafts? (sray454)

I'm not so sure painting drive shafts and half shafts is a good idea - I wonder if it would throw them out of balance ... ???
Only if you put 100 coats on them. Or use some sort of undercoating or rubberized sealer type of paint that can build up thick in spots and throw off the balance.

The above suggestions are perfect. No need to add my .02 on the job :cheers: :D
Old 03-04-2003, 05:16 PM
Koz

Default Re: POR-15 Drive and half shafts? (mvftw)

I also planning on using POR-15. I want to start off using it on the raditor support and surrounding area. What do you prefer for a stock look...gloss or semi-gloss? What did you use on the under carraige...gloss or semi?
I'm just bringing this back to the top of the list. I'm curious about which one to buy too.. gloss or semi.. Which one holds up better or looks better :cheers:
Old 03-04-2003, 05:35 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Anything that is exposed to sunlight should be topcoated.
The radiator support - I would topcoat. This means that it doen't matter which
POR you pick. I use the silver. This way, it is very easy to see where you
covered. As a top-coat, I use Krylon semi-flat black. This is very close to the
factory black that was used. You need to apply a dusting of top coat while
the POR is tacky, to help bind the coats together. Topcoating a fully cured
POR coat will tend to peel over time.

My latest pics of the birdcage/WS frame show progress with applying
these coatings. Go to my site (in sig) and vettestuff>>70pics.

Oh yeah - the animated GIF in my sig shows the 4 steps: bare, silver POR, black dusting, and black topcoat.

Good luck.

[Modified by NHvette, 5:38 PM 3/4/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To POR-15 Drive and half shafts?

Quick Reply: POR-15 Drive and half shafts?