C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think my Steering Box is 'Oozing'...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 08:51 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default I think my Steering Box is 'Oozing'...

Since installing my heads and headers in the Spring of 2002, I've been chasing what I think/thought was an engine oil leak at the right front of the engine. I sorted out a bad valve cover gasket situation in late 2002 but have been monitoring a leak that appears to be more power steering/steering box than engine oil. The 'oil' is pretty clear but doesn't appear to be coming from the engine block. After a response to a post by Van Steel, I suspect my headers are super-heating the gear box, causing the grease to 'ooze' out. It is similar to the 'oil' I found below my grease gun after allowing it to hang on the garage in direct sunlight for a summer (gun is now empty although I never used it).

Looks like it is time for a gear box rebuild with high temp grease... I'll probably also replace the power steering valves/hoses while at it.

I suppose the good news is that it appears I've resolved my engine oil leaks for now (along with my trans fluid leaks). :seeya

Quick Reply: I think my Steering Box is 'Oozing'...