C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Degreasers

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 08:37 AM
Koz

Default Degreasers

The rearend was leaking on both yokes so this weekend we pulled it out. You can imagine the buildup of grease and sludge under the rear of my car, differential, and cover/carrier. I used a scraper to removed the bulk.. How do you clean the rest? Any magic stuff out there? I have all the bolts, straps and small parts soaking in Simple Grean. Will check them later today. I tried Gunk on the carrier bracket but it didn't do much. Any help?
Old 03-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Degreasers (Koz)

Just a suggestion: Drag what you can to a self serve pressure car wash.
I use the degreaser sold by the POR-15 company (forgot the name) I'm also lucky enough to get brake cleaner for free, so I spray that stuff liberally on all my greasy parts.
Eddie
Old 03-03-2003, 01:27 PM
vettery
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Degreasers (Silvr77)

I use the degreaser sold by the POR-15 company (forgot the name)

It's Marine-Clean. It works good but takes time and elbow grease to get through the thick stuff.

Try oven cleaner. It works while you don't.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:43 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

When I cleaned off my transmission during my engine swap I used brake cleaner. The stuff did a great job removing grease and dirt. You may want to try some. I just got the cheap stuff Autozone sells.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:45 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 215 Posts

I use NAPA carb cleaner. It has xylene which can be hazardous and good ventilation is needed. This stuff will also dissolve the paint. I also use Simple Green concentrated, does need some soak time for heavy-dried greases.
Roger
Old 03-03-2003, 01:50 PM
fishman
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Degreasers (RMS73)

Castrol makes a pretty good one, cant remember the name but it is in a purple container. Got it at Wal-Mart. Soak time not too bad but I scrubbed it with a brush and then power washed it. Worked great on my engine compartment... :)
Old 03-03-2003, 01:52 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have a dishwasher with a heaqvy duty pot scrubber cycle you might want to try that. Just make sure your wife doesn't find out. :jester

[Modified by 6t9l4t6, 6:53 PM 3/3/2003]
Old 03-03-2003, 01:52 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Orange Clean works pretty well. Oven cleaner works as well. If you have a Zep representative near you try some Big Orange. It's their version of orange clean, but it works much better. I use it on everything. I have a gallon garden sprayer full of the stuff up in the shop all the time. Citrol from Schaeffer petroleum products works better than all of them, but be careful with it, it tends to eat up some finishes. (Like rattle can paints)

-Justin
Old 03-03-2003, 07:15 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Degreasers (Dalannex)

I got this stuff from NAPA that you mix with mineral spirits or kerosene, called Gunk S-C Super Concentrate. A little soaking and nasty stuff rinses off with water. Or you can dip a cleaning brush in it and work the grease off if you can't soak the part. The parts look bad until you hit them with water and then they're clean. Joe
Old 03-03-2003, 07:40 PM
LATNC3
Burning Brakes

Gunk foam degreaser...let sit over night. use preasure washer( its best if you have one) repeat as desired!!! it worked for me. and mine was bad!!!!

Rod
Old 03-03-2003, 10:41 PM
Bobbyg75
Instructor

I bought a rubbermaid container with a snap-on lid and filled partially with paint thinner. Works great for cleaning parts and when you're done for the day, just snap the lid on.
Bob
Old 03-04-2003, 01:11 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Degreasers (vettery)

Try oven cleaner. It works while you don't.
:iagree:
This is the magic ticket.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:49 AM
Koz

Default Re: Degreasers (Bobbyg75)

Will paint thinner remove thick grease? I like the oven cleaner idea.. That shouldn't damage the carrier.. I'm not sure what that's made from.. Alluminum?
Old 03-04-2003, 10:05 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Koz,
Oven cleaner is a good one but can you get hold off stuff called Hyperclean in the US? It's like Gunk but it doesn't leave a milky white residue. It has worked for me on some really heavy build ups of grease in the past, including stuff baked to the rear of an engine. You've got to smother the area in it, working it in with a stiff brush & then wash it off with water. Do this 2 or 3 times & it gets the job done. A big bonus is that it softens up silicon RTV & is excellent for getting off RTV stuck to engine parts. It doesn't stink as bad as Gunk either, so you can get away with using the kitchen sink to degrease parts :)
:cheers:
Old 03-04-2003, 02:25 PM
SnoDrgn
Team Owner

Location: Swords Check/Saws Check/Clubs Check/Claws Check/Hatred Check/Anger Check/Murmaid Check/Murder Check
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Last summer I switched to Greased Lightening on an engine teardown. The stuff is far superior to Simple Green. Alot less elbow grease. I haven't tried any of the citrus stuff on the market yet. I might try some when I do my next engine swap. :yesnod:
Old 03-04-2003, 06:43 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Degreasers (SnoDrgn)

Oven cleaner will dissolve aluminum. Joe
Old 03-04-2003, 09:35 PM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 183 Likes on 86 Posts

Default Re: Degreasers (SnoDrgn)

Last summer I switched to Greased Lightening on an engine teardown. The stuff is far superior to Simple Green. Alot less elbow grease. I haven't tried any of the citrus stuff on the market yet. I might try some when I do my next engine swap. :yesnod:
Greased Lightning makes a citrus called Orange Blast. Great stuff. Great smell. Biodegradable and cheap. It's about $2-3 a bottle at Advance Auto Parts. It worked great on my engine compartment.

:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Degreasers

Old 03-05-2003, 10:29 AM
Koz

Default Re: Degreasers (joe73vette)

Oven cleaner will dissolve aluminum. Joe
WOW.. I was going to buy some easyoff on the way home.. My '80 has the alluminum carrier and cover.. right? Damm.. back to manual labor..
Old 03-05-2003, 11:24 AM
77Dream
Drifting

Gunk foam degreaser. :yesnod: Also, If you have nothing else, household rubbing alcohol will cut grease
Old 03-05-2003, 01:15 PM
Koz

Default Re: Degreasers (77Dream)

Gunk foam degreaser. :yesnod: Also, If you have nothing else, household rubbing alcohol will cut grease
I used the Gunk foam degreaser. Goes on great.. but wasn't happy with the results. The oven cleaner really got me going.. How about parts cleaner? Do I have to worry about the rubber bushings?

Quick Reply: Degreasers