C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine running after 2 years - but have clutch problems

Old 03-03-2003, 12:12 AM
70vetteinpieces
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Default engine running after 2 years - but have clutch problems

Installed a new ram pressure plate and clutch kit. The fork was damaged and I ordered a new one through GM. Also got an adjustable pivot ball. Assembled all the parts.

Now my problem. I adjusted the clutch as per the manual but the clutch would not disengage. So I adjusted it and the clutch will release but now the throughout bearing is running all the time. And the clutch engages 1/2" off the floor

Next I tried backing off the adjusting nuts a turn at a time to see if I could find a spot where it would work correctly. Got to the point where the clutch wouldn't disengage but when fully released the bearing is still turning.

Could the clutch disc be installed backwards?

Seems like the pressure plate needs more movement than I can give. All the linkage is original - but rebuilt.

One thought is to replace the ram with a centerforce, or buy a stock gm or last choice install my old cover and clutch.

This will be the third time I have dropped the transmission

:mad
Old 03-03-2003, 01:54 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: engine running after 2 years - but have clutch problems (70vetteinpieces)

Ahh...nothing like a warm transmission on the chest. I have the same problem...throw out bearing is always touching the tines, and I can barely get the clutch to engage at about 1/2" off the floor. I have a Centerforce Dual Friction, and I don't think it was always like it is now. Anyway, for your problem I would say that the clutch disk can NOT be turned around...it would not spin, nor would you be able to install the pressure plate properly.

I've had my tranny out several times, and have not inspected the clutch housing or clutch...looks like I will need to. I really have no idea what I am going to do about it. I suppose just get a new throw-out bearing every 6 months or so. :)
Old 03-03-2003, 12:00 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Re: engine running after 2 years - but have clutch problems (70vetteinpieces)

Had the same problem on my 64, all the ends on the clutch rods/pedals, etc were elongated. I cured my problem doing this; new clutch pedal assy with new bushings (big play in the upper portion under the dash), new longer upper clutch rod and shorter lower rod (this changed the fulcrum point on the bell-crank). I think the C3's have the longer ones than mine though. Mine still has 1 1/2" of threads left after adjusting now and is fine. Bottom line, check all points for wear, it adds up to no adjustment left. :cheers:
Old 03-03-2003, 02:12 PM
70vetteinpieces
Burning Brakes

Update! After talking with a Ram tech He said I might need a longer throughout bearing or the clutch plate springs could be contacting the flywheel bolt heads. They make a better disc with 8 smaller springs.

The clutch fork should be angled towards the engine at the point where the throughout bearing just contacts the fingers.

Has anyone tried this disc or a longer bearing?
Old 03-11-2003, 09:06 AM
70vetteinpieces
Burning Brakes

Final update. I used a longer throwout bearing and went back to the original pivot ball. Turned out that the clutch disk springs were contacting the flywheel bolts. Ram makes a different clutch disc with smaller springs but has 8 instead of 5.

Compared the original disc to the new 5 spring ram. It seems the center ring on the original is in the middle of the disc where the ram is more towards the flywheel - just enough to contact the bolt heads.

I believe the disc will work with any stock flywheel but not with the hayes I installed. The center is a little swallower than the original flywheel.

Get notified of new replies

To engine running after 2 years - but have clutch problems

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine running after 2 years - but have clutch problems