C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any experience rebuilding stock 4-speed shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 11:28 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Any experience rebuilding stock 4-speed shifter?

I've got the shifter removed from my '69 and want to rebuild it to get the slop out and make the shifts smoother. Does anyone have any experience rebuilding these stock shifters? Anyone use the rebuild kit from Zip? Before anyone says "Replace it with a Hurst", keep in mind that I'm an originality kind-o-guy and that ain't an option.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Shannon
Old 03-02-2003, 11:57 PM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Any experience rebuilding stock 4-speed shifter? (sb69coupe)

I'm interested in this topic too...
I seem to remember reading about a shifter lock tool that is required to get the levers properly adjusted. Somewhere I have the dimensions of this tool. I can make my own at work.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:59 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rebuilt mine completely the first time I had my tranny out. It's fairly simple, and can easily be adjusted by eyeballing it after installation. I didn't use any "kit" and I would not know what possibly would need replacing?!?! It's all steel that I can see. The only things that need replacing are the cotter pins unless you have the original shift linkage to shift lever clips.

Watch out for the spring located in the shift gnob...it's easily bent.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:56 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 742 Likes on 519 Posts

Default Re: Any experience rebuilding stock 4-speed shifter? (Rockn-Roll)

I didn't use any "kit" and I would not know what possibly would need replacing?!?!
My shifter was very sloppy and the kit comes with different size shims. When I rebuilt it, I used 1 new shim that replaced the original one and it took all the slop out.

Yes, I used the rebuild kit and it is very easy. You need to make an alignment tool that keeps the shifter in the neutral position if you removed your linkage from the tranny and changed any of the adjustments. While you are in there, you can change the throw to short throw by installing the linkage to the other holes in the levers coming out of the tranny. I have a picture of the tool that I made out of aluminum and can e-mail it to you if you want. The dimentions for the tool is in the Haynes manual.
John
Old 03-03-2003, 12:36 PM
Michaeljh2000
Instructor

Considered rebuilding my stock 4 speed as well, but ended up installing a Hurst shifter assembly. It came with everything I needed to complete the job, which went fairly smooth. Now, the shifts are much more precise and I don't have to worry I slam it into 2nd. Only thing you may not like about it is that it eliminates the reverse lock out function from the stock set-up.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:23 PM
JIM
Burning Brakes

Zip? Before anyone says "Replace it with a Hurst", keep in mind that I'm an originality kind-o-guy and that ain't an option.
order the hurst from corvette central with the original style shift lever(there is no extra charge)it does take away the reverse lockout. The only way anyone could tell the difference is to look under the car. Youll be much happier with it. When I replaced my shifter (with the hurst) rebuild kits for the stock shifter were not available. You cna always put your stock shifter on a shelf.
But to rebuild the stock one is no big deal it's just bushings and maybe shims.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:38 PM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

I just completed rebuilding mine with the kit as you mentioned. It is very simple and certainly makes the linkage tighter, no slop!! Make sure all your parts are cleaned well and reassemble using white litium grease (lots of it!).
:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Any experience rebuilding stock 4-speed shifter?

Quick Reply: Any experience rebuilding stock 4-speed shifter?