C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Filling in the holes

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 11:11 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Filling in the holes

I recently bought a 77 vette and the owner before put on a front spoiler and a california turbo wing and they are bolt on assemblies. I am not particularly fond of the spoiler and wing and want to take them off. But when I do there will be holes in the fiberglass. Does someone make a patching substance of any kind to fill in the holes? Thanks :chevy

[Modified by RCDriveryo, 4:18 AM 3/3/2003]
Old 03-02-2003, 11:35 PM
litevette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Filling in the holes (RCDriveryo)

I've used the light weight grade of fiberglass mat that you can easily pull apart (like a wad of hair) and was happy with the results. You just pull some apart and set it where you can easily get to it, mix up some resin, brush the area with resin. Stick the fiberglass to the area and with your brush dap it with more resin till it's soaked and invisible, add more fiberglass on top of it if you need to and wet it down. Once you sand you might need to do so again. when it hardens, it will sand out nice and smooth. Good luck! :cheers:
Old 03-02-2003, 11:45 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Default Re: Filling in the holes (litevette)

So no one makes just a small hole filler. You kinda have to fiberglass an area instead of a hole? :confused:
Old 03-02-2003, 11:50 PM
litevette
Melting Slicks

You could use all kinds of stuff (cualk, gum, 2 part epoxy, etc.) as a "hole filler" if you really want to. But if you want to do it right then glass is the way to go. To answer your question though, I don't think I've ever seen a product named "hole filler". :cheers:
Old 03-03-2003, 12:54 AM
standup
Drifting

Default Re: Filling in the holes (litevette)

:iagree:

Maybe in the future the wizards at 3M will invent a hole filler, but for now it's fixing fibreglass with fibreglass. Other products may look good at the start, but eventually stress and temperatures will scar it for life, and you'll have to do it over again.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:12 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Default Re: Filling in the holes (standup)

Aight thanks I will take it off and fill in the holes like a week before I get it painted. Thanks again.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:31 PM
crf311
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

The only way to go is to use fiberglass. I just did this repair for rearview mirror removal. Make sure you cone out the holes to give the fiberglass more surface area to bond to . Cut some fiberglass to fit in the bottom of thre hole then mix and set the fiberglass mat. Don't try to completely fill the hole in one try. The best way is to do it in two to three steps. Doing the repair this way wil keep the holes from reappearing after you paint your car. Hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Filling in the holes

Quick Reply: Filling in the holes