C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970 Trailing arm instln question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 11:08 PM
vett70
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1970 Trailing arm instln question

Just replaced the entire rear suspension except the spring. Also upgraded to Smart-Struts. The trailing arms assy's came from Florida Caliper 3 years ago. I hear on the forum that this place screwed some people along the way so my parts are suspect.

The left side went on smoothly, this assy looks new. The right side, which is definitely rebuilt, had to be lifted to the top of its arch to get the strut end to engage. I also had to let out the end of the Smart strut quite a ways to reach the trailing arm.

After attaching everything but the shock the left side moved freely up and down (guessing 7 to 10"). However, the right side does not drop freely as far as the left and only moves maybe 4 to 6".

Is it normal for one strut to be fitting tight while the other has to reach farther out (maybe an inch more). How much freedom of movement should there be in the assembly with the only the shaft and strut attached (before shocks insltd)?

Thanks. :banghead:
Old 03-02-2003, 11:32 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: 1970 Trailing arm instln question (vett70)

I just went through the same thing.

Did you reuse the shims that were there? If so, did you replace them exactly the same? Was your alignment really bad or the frame bent, if so then the new trailing arms may be straight and requre you to reshim the trailing arms.

I had to cut through the rusted shims to get the trailing arms out, so I bought new ss shims. I just centered the trailing arms and will get the car aligned when it's on the road. I definitely had different rod lengths though, so I wouldn't worry about that until it gets aligned.

I'm sure that there are more people here with a lot more experience than me at this. :) Good luck.

Quick Reply: 1970 Trailing arm instln question