C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering problum on 81

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 09:56 PM
gravismaximus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering problum on 81

i rebuilt my power steering cylinder and the control valve, put them back on the car and balanced it, i think. This is what i did, i bloted it all in exept the end of the cyinder that connects to the frame so i could balance it. i turned the adjustment bolt on the valve untill the cylinder moved out, then turnd the nut back the other way untill the cylinder went in. i then turnd it back the other way half way so it was centered between the two adjustments to make the cylinder move in or out, or so i think. when i was adjusting the cylinder in and out the control valve would leak, is that normal? anyway, after i got the cylinder adjusted (so i think) i turned the wheel to the left and right to see if the valve was still gonna leak, i didnt hurray!! so i thought it was all good. tonight however i went back out and put in my new be cool radaitor and after i filled it up and started the car evey thing was good untill i started to turn the wheel to the left and all by its self the wheel just started turning very fast to the left and hit the left lock out postion. i tried turning it to the right but couldnt with the car running, but after i shut it off i could. i did notice that the valve started to leak when i tried turning it to the right when it was running. why did it do this, is it just because i really didnt balance it right? this was the last thing i was gonna do this winter, please help me out thanks guys and gals so you on the road soon i hope :steering:
Old 03-02-2003, 10:37 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: power steering problum on 81 (gravismaximus)

I would suggest trying the balancing again. If that doesn't work, you may have to get into that valve again. Did you print out the instructions for doing the job on the ZIP website? (That's where they were when i did mine a couple of years ago anyway?

-Justin
Old 03-02-2003, 11:25 PM
gravismaximus
Racer

yes i did use the zip website instructions, any other ideas guys? :cry
Old 03-03-2003, 12:08 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

You may have had some air in the system when you first tried to balance the valve. Once all the air is out (the fluid appears clear and not milky) try and balance the valve again.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:17 PM
gravismaximus
Racer

it does still look a little milky when it leaks, do i just let it run and turn the wheel back and forth untill it isint? then rebalance it right? thanks :seeya
Old 03-04-2003, 12:21 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Rebuilt mine a couple of years ago and got it centered OK but it leaked. I thought the printed directions from Zip sucked. Blurry pictures that had been copied too many times. I happen to live close to Muskegon Brake. Drove over there and bought one of their rebuilt ones, put it on an worked great. They were very friendly, easy to work with and willing to answer questions. I say to pay the bucks and buy one already rebuilt. :auto: :D
Old 03-04-2003, 12:27 AM
mountainshark76
Instructor

is it posible you have the lines from the control valve to the cyl. crossed :confused: thats what it sounds like

[Modified by mountainshark76, 5:28 AM 3/4/2003]
Old 03-04-2003, 12:18 PM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to balance mine a few times before it was right. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To power steering problum on 81

Quick Reply: power steering problum on 81