C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do magnecor wires really live up to their promise?

Old 03-02-2003, 01:46 PM
shotgun_000
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do magnecor wires really live up to their promise?

In addition to the header upgrade I am making, I will be doing an ignition upgrade as well. I am sticking with HEI; will buy a new Proform HEI distributor with high performance advance curve, coil, and module.

When I install the headers, I am buying wires that run over the valve covers, and have 90 degree boots for the plugs.

The only thing I am undecided on is which wires to use. I've used Accel spiral core in the past, with good results. But, if you read Magnecor's web site, any plug wire but their's is junk.

I can understand that you shouldn't buy a wire based on low resistance or other claims. Many other factors have to be considered, such as durability and RFI suppression.

On the other hand, Magnecor is a company just like Accel, MSd, etc, and of course they are in business to sell their products to you. So, it's no surprise that they can site reasons why everyone elses' wires are junk except theirs.

As far as I'm concerned, Magnecor has yet to prove to me that they are better than anyone else.

I'm looking to spend $50-$60. So far, I like the MSD 8.5mm, the Accel 8.8mm, and the Moroso Blue Max.

In the end, I realize that it's just a wire, and my car isn't going to outrun the space shuttle by installing them. In my opinion, most of the wires are close in quality, and maybe I should just pick a wire color and buy from whoever makes that color.

So, am I wrong about Magnecor, or will any spiral core wire work just as well?

Thanks for your comments or suggestions :cheers: :seeya
Old 03-02-2003, 02:09 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Do magnecor wires really live up to their promise? (shotgun_000)

Plug wires alone will provide little or no benefit unless your existing ones are leaking or have way too much resistance in them.

I dont know anything about magnacore - but if anybody was to make such a claim to me it would be "reason one" why I wouldnt use them, to me that sounds like the same kind of advertising that slick 50 and duralube use. Or better yet the magnets that strap onto your radiator hose that actually boost horsepower :rolleyes:

While I have never been a huge fan of accel for plugs and plug wires (I find their quality to be spotty, sometimes good sometimes not) I do like their caps and rotors. For plug wires I prefer Taylor or Moroso.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:23 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Do magnecor wires really live up to their promise? (shotgun_000)

I have had stock wires, Accel Superstock and Livewires. Then I just brokd for the Magnecor's and they have lived up to their reputation, in my opinion. Not trying to start a flame war, but, reading Magnecor's site and reading about other manufacturer's wires convinced me that Magnecor's are the best. Again, not flaming, but I notice the poster just above mine really has not apparently been to the Magnecor's site to read and digest the information. Every manufacturer gives data. You have to sort it out for yourself which seems the be the best based data scientifcally and logically. To me it was Magnecor. If you want to disagree, so be it. I will only buy Magnecore's henceforth.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:30 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Do magnecor wires really live up to their promise? (fauxrs)

I believe that if you read Magnacores web site they will not say that you car will be faster smarter or better in bed. They do say you will get a hotter more consistant spark. But if you already have a hot enough spark more will not do any good...

BTW, I have seen a difference between MSD wires and Taylors. I will not be buying Taylors again! ( I will probably buy MSD or Magnacore)
Old 03-02-2003, 02:32 PM
shotgun_000
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Do magnecor wires really live up to their promise? (Larry82)

If you don't mind me asking, how much is a set of Magnecor's wires? I don't need the factory style, just HEI over the valve cover style.

I try to be open minded about everything. If Magnecor is really better than the other wires, then I don't mind spending extra for them. I'd rather spend a little more the first time and get it right :yesnod: :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Do magnecor wires really live up to their promise?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do magnecor wires really live up to their promise?