C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 12:28 PM
akvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer problem

Drove the vette for the first time in two months. Noticed that the speedo stayed around 10-15 mph even though I was doing about 40-45. The more I drove it the higher the speedo would go but would bounce between 40-55 when I was doing about 60-65. This is on an 81 4 speed. I believe it is the speedo cable but thought I'd ask the forum before I tear into it.
Thanks in advance :flag

Akvette
Old 03-02-2003, 01:27 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Speedometer problem (akvette)

Do you have cruise control? If so there could be a problem with the transducer, or it could be a bad speedometer gear in the tranny. These are just guesses on my part.
I'd suggest doing a methodical, check the cable, disconnect it from the tranny and hook up a drill to the inner cable, the start cranking the drill. Have someone watch the speedometer if it responds smoothly then your problem is in the tranny speedometer gears. If it doesn't then start checking the cables, disconnect the cable from the bottom of the cruise control transducer, check and see if the inner drive cable moves freely in the cable, if sticky or binding then clean the inner cable and relube with white lithium grease.
Then check the cable from the top of the transducer to the speedometer by hooking up a drill motor and watching the speedometer. If it moves smoothly then your problem could be in the transducer.
If everything else checks out then the problem could be in the speedometer itself. There are several places that repair speedometers, and you can even replace your 85mph speedometer with a 140mph speedometer for a very reasonable price. The details are in this link.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zero...456964#5456964
Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Speedometer problem