C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting with doors on/off

Old 03-01-2003, 11:57 PM
crf311
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Painting with doors on/off

I am in the process of painting my 69 conv. I had to replace the door do to rot in the metal. My question i should I paint the door off the car then install. Or shoul I do the jams, install the door and then paint the whole car at once. Right now I am leanning to paint the jams then install, then paint. I am doing all the body work myself, just could not bring myself to pay the prices that were being quoted to me. Anyway this is my 3rd vette I am doing but the first time I have the door off. Let me know what worked for you . Thanks.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:14 AM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Painting with doors on/off (crf311)

I have seen a great many pictures of paint projects being done with the doors off. The doors then are painted while suspended from racks in the paint booth.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:43 AM
PrarieShark
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Painting with doors on/off (Simon Alexander)

If your doing a solid color, painting the with doors off will make the job easyer but if your shooting a metalic paint you'll want the doors on so the flake will match. painting the the jams with doors off will look nicer but if you install the doors to paint the rest of the car, mask the jams off to keep the oversray from screwing up you hard work.
FWIW I'd paint the car with doors on I'd hate to see you damage the paint putting the doors back on.

[Modified by PrarieShark, 11:48 PM 3/1/2003]
Old 03-02-2003, 10:08 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

I removed evrything I could. See my signature pics. Benifits; less taping, more thorugh coverage, easier to reach all areas.
Drawbacks; BE VERY CAREFULL hanging things back on can be tricky trying to prevent chips and scratches.

:cheers:
Old 03-02-2003, 10:29 AM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you look at my web sight you can see that I masked the car so I could open and close the doors when I was painting. I had to do this to get the striping correct but it worked out real well for doing the jams. On each color I would first spray the jams then close the door and spray the outer body. Just remember to remove the stricker bolt so the door doesn't latch. I am very pleased at the way it turned out as the jams are just as perfect as the rest of the car.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:09 AM
Rogue Wave
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-16-'17

I've got my C3 just about ready to start priming / painting.

My plan is to take the doors off (and replace the hinges) and then prime and paint the door jambs and the insides of the doors.

As well, remove the hood and prime and paint the hood jambs (is that what it is called? :lol: ) and the edges of the hood.

Then put it all back together and prime the outside.

I'm doin the red racing stripe... so I'll mask off the red and shoot it... the red will be metallic, so shoot a color coat and then the metallic coat followed by a couple coats of clearcoat.

I'll mask off and tape up what stays red and then shoot a couple (few ???) coats of white. Unmask the red and clearcoat the heck out of the entire car.

Oh, sorry for the rambling... I've been working on refinishing the car of several months and I'm getting excited because I'm a week or so away from finally getting to use the spray gun on it.

Back to your project... I'd do the jambs and the insides of the doors with the doors off. Put them back on and shoot the car.

Good luck on your Vette. :cheers:
Old 03-02-2003, 02:50 PM
69vette66
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Myself I would paint them off. You get much better job if you do it that way. You just have to becareful when you hang back on. have someone help you. I did mine myself, but this is what I do for a Living. We do all of our cars that way. http://community.webshots.com/user/jonesy15 :cheers: Larry
Old 03-02-2003, 05:23 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

:iagree:

Get notified of new replies

To Painting with doors on/off

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Painting with doors on/off