C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeff's '74 Corvette Project...Phase II underway! (100% DarkSide)

Old 03-01-2003, 10:47 PM
no_radio
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jeff's '74 Corvette Project...Phase II underway! (100% DarkSide)

OK, for those of you who have been on the forum for a couple years you may remember (or may not remember, or may not care) the details of my '74 Corvette Restification. The goal was a streetable '74 with better suspension and mostly stock appearing exterior.
Well, it was a pretty successful venture, if I do say so myself, but I am now instigating Phase II...More Power.
First, some changes to the engine. Off go the 882 heads, on go the AFR 195 heads. I also have Comp Pro Magnum 1.6 Roller Rockers to spice things up. The Speed Demon 650 mechanical secondary is already installed, but the RPM Air Gap intake will go on with the new heads.
I have removed all the AC stuff, and will be blocking the opening off, with no heater or AC. I am thinking a custom gauge pod where the controls used to be would be cool.
With the money from selling my like-new AC parts I plan to purchase an electric fan setup, mainly because the shroud is such a drag to R&R. While at it I may replace the cam, but if not it will be MUCH easier to replace with the E-fans instead of stock stuff.
Also, I have lowered the rear ~1" with lowering bolts, the front springs came in this week, so the stance should be killer.
Finally, March pulleys and Alt bracket should cure my squeaky alt belt problem, and look cool at the same time.
My guesstimate would be approximately a year to complete (working on the house alot). The AC is already off, the heads should be here next week, and I already have the roller rockers.

Oh yeah, and according to the G-tech I ran a 4.9 0-60 last weekend, As-Is. My '96 LT4 ran a 4.8 so I think I'm already in the 350 HP range.

Whaddya think of the plan??
Jeff
Old 03-01-2003, 11:13 PM
Aaron-74
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Jeff's '74 Corvette Project...Phase II underway! (no_radio)

So Jeff, Does this mean you're actually going to update your website now?????? :eek: :eek:
Old 03-02-2003, 06:04 AM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds great, but I could never do what you are doing. My wife enjoys me working on my hobby as long as she can ride around in a classic Vette on the streets of Houston with AIR CONDITIONING. The moment I removed the AC, I would be hearing nothing but gripes about the Vette. Good luck, I would like to see some photos of the interior gauges when you are done.

[Modified by virtue4u, 5:05 AM 3/2/2003]
Old 03-02-2003, 06:38 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Jeff, you don't post enough. I didn't even know you had a C4. :cool: Are you going to "rebuild" the 74 every couple of years then? If so it should be really killer by the time you retire. :lol: Sounds great. Keep us posted.

-Justin
Old 03-02-2003, 05:04 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

It sounds like a very do-able plan :yesnod: . I've been thinking of maybe using something like the gauage pod from a 1st gen Camaro. I think it holds 4 gauges & is in the location where our heater/ ac controls are ;) . I'm sure Year One sells it, but I haven't gotten that far just yet.

Do keep us updated on the progress ;) .
Old 03-02-2003, 07:06 PM
Aaron-74
Drifting

Default Re: Jeff's '74 Corvette Project...Phase II underway! (SmokedTires)

Don't worry Jeff...I'll still kick your butt someday.
Old 03-02-2003, 09:18 PM
no_radio
Drifting

Default Re: Jeff's '74 Corvette Project...Phase II underway! (Aaron-74)

I guess I need to post more in the C3 section...I've been lurking plenty, but haven't been posting much since I "finished" the '74 the first time.
And I guess I need update the website...it's been a year now.
I'll keep you guys posted as things progress.
As for updating until I retire, I'm 31 now, so there's no telling what it'll look like by the time I retire...hopefully there will be a few more stable mates by then!
And Aaron...bring it!! :steering:

Jeff
Old 03-02-2003, 09:18 PM
CORKYVET
Instructor

Default Re: Jeff's '74 Corvette Project...Phase II underway! (Aaron-74)

Jeff,
Removed my air conditioning several years ago and have not looked back. Much easier to deal with everything else. Trimmed a lot of weight too. I was considering the early Camaro gauge pod myself. They have one in the Jeg's catalog. Anyboby know the approximate dimensions.
Old 03-02-2003, 10:58 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

VERY interesed in your project Jeff. Sounds like it has turned out great! :thumbs:
Old 03-02-2003, 11:15 PM
Aaron-74
Drifting

And Aaron...bring it!! :steering:

Jeff
Alright. I've got a 10.5:1 compression piston and whole motor rebuild comming in the next 2-4 weeks. That will be backed with an XE-268. So, with my gearing and more cam then you...who knows. It will be CLOSE. Remember, my car scared you how it is right now... :cheers:
Old 03-02-2003, 11:35 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Jeff...

That's definitely a classy '74 vette you have. Jut thought I would make the note.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:24 AM
Aaron-74
Drifting

Default Re: Jeff's '74 Corvette Project...Phase II underway! (bgrice)

You could eat off the oil pan of that thing. Every where is clean. When I go to his house I TRY to find things wrong with his car...or i steal his wheels and put them in my car... :lol: :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Jeff's '74 Corvette Project...Phase II underway! (100% DarkSide)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jeff's '74 Corvette Project...Phase II underway! (100% DarkSide)