C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TIME TO FIGHT THESE GAS HIKES, please read

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 06:34 PM
RedBlazed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TIME TO FIGHT THESE GAS HIKES, please read

I don't know if you've all gotten this type of e-mail yet, but it seems like a pretty good idea. There has been talk of not buying gas on a certain day or stuff like that, but that ends up being an inconvenience to us rather than hurting the oil people and OPEC. So, as an alternative, in an e-mail, I was sent the idea to instead boycott the largest oil provider instead. That's right, I'm talking about boycotting all Exxon and Mobile stations and any gas station affiliated with them. We won't have to hurt ourselves by avoiding gas, but we will definitely hurt them and they will become the spearhead to drive the prices down and everyone will follow suit. Let's keep this up until the national average is down to at least $1.35 for regular unleaded.

So avoid all Exxon and Mobile gas stations and anyone affiliated with Exxon and Mobile!!

Does this not seem a good idea? Maybe I'm naive but I'll be doing it since I normally get Mobile for the vette, but not anymore. WHO'S WITH ME?!!!!
:boxing :boxing :boxing :boxing :boxing :boxing :boxing :boxing :boxing

and if you are a part of this, please pass e-mails on to all family and friends with this idea
[Modified by RedBlazed, 11:35 PM 3/1/2003]

[Modified by RedBlazed, 11:36 PM 3/1/2003]
Old 03-01-2003, 06:44 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: TIME TO FIGHT THESE GAS HIKES, please read (RedBlazed)

:leaving:
Old 03-01-2003, 06:48 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it is a great idea but in Canada it should be Peto Can. If nowbody bought gas from Petro Can until the price dropped to a reasonable level then start again buying from them it would not hurt us.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:10 PM
Rogue Wave
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-16-'17

I applaude your efforts... but in all honesty don't think its gonna make any difference. :skep:

Good luck. :)
Old 03-01-2003, 07:22 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: TIME TO FIGHT THESE GAS HIKES, please read (gb4622)

I work in the "Oil Industry" and this stuff does'nt work :yesnod: People create shortages, not the oil industry. I know all kinds of things we are doing differently "just because" of the Venezualan Oil crisis, which too, is real, which also ships 18% of the United States crude oil to us, so yes, until things get back to normal, the "higher prices" will be the NORM. Just when Venezula gets back "into the norm" something could happen with IRAQ sending the oil industry further into turmoil. :yesnod: It is far from OVER :D
Old 03-01-2003, 07:27 PM
RedBlazed
Advanced

Default Re: TIME TO FIGHT THESE GAS HIKES, please read (Paul Borowski)

So if millions of people in the US do not use Exxon and Mobile gas, it would not make a difference? I'm not talking about avoiding all gas as much as possible, cuz that's impossible, I'm just talking about attacking the heavy hitter in the industry, at least for the US. Our Canadian brothers can do the same with Petro Can as stated earlier. I think it'll make a difference.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:31 PM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Just roll with the punches and the prices. They'll go up, and they'll go down. They go up with crisis, such as a potential war with an oil producing nation coupled with production issues due to social unrest in one of the largest South American oil nations. The same issues that cause stocks to go up and down do the same with oil.

A boycott does nothing. The fact is that when you need gas, you'll buy it. It doesn't matter from whom you buy it -- you are a part of the demand. So am I. I filled up my gas chugging big block '69 today, and y'know what, I'm dang happy I live in a country where fuel is so cheap, because if we lived in Europe, it might have cost me $60 to fill the tank, instead it was $22. Now my friend is out in the '69 taking his girlfriend around Olympia in it, and I'm glad that I live in a country where I can own a fueled-up with premium for $22 big-block Vette convertible to offer to my friend so that he can enjoy a beautiful day with his girlfriend.

Plus, I've owned stock in Exxon since I was 10 years old, and all in all, they're one of the better companies.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:38 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

So if millions of people in the US do not use Exxon and Mobile gas, it would not make a difference? I'm not talking about avoiding all gas as much as possible, cuz that's impossible, I'm just talking about attacking the heavy hitter in the industry, at least for the US. Our Canadian brothers can do the same with Petro Can as stated earlier. I think it'll make a difference.
There's your KEY-"millions of people". Try to get that to happen. If all the smokers of the world gave up smoking for just one day, would anybody even notice??? I 'll probably get flamed for this, but you look at the price of cars, food, homes, clothes what they were back in the '60s to what they are now. If gasoline went up according to what everything else did GAS SHOULD BE $3.54 A GALLON. Gas is cheap compared to what "it should be". Don't forget your fed & local governments-they get their 40% too.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:56 PM
RedBlazed
Advanced

All I'm saying is it's worth a shot. I've already sent out my e-mails, and I know the key is millions, that's why I posted here too. So if people agree it's at least worth trying, they can spread the word as well. How hard is it for us to avoid using Exxon and Mobile, I mean, c'mon....

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

[Modified by RedBlazed, 12:57 AM 3/2/2003]
Old 03-01-2003, 08:22 PM
JRD77VET
Team Owner

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

The only way this would work would be for Exxon/Mobil to have a surplus and lower their price. The other oil companies would be forced to follow.

It would work if the people of north america would think for themselves instead of following the masses. :cheers:

But what are the chances of that? :rolleyes:

:seeya JRD77VET

ps. I got this email months ago. I havn't bought Exxon/Mobil gas in months :thumbs:
Old 03-01-2003, 08:23 PM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I 'll probably get flamed for this, but you look at the price of cars, food, homes, clothes what they were back in the '60s to what they are now. If gasoline went up according to what everything else did GAS SHOULD BE $3.54 A GALLON. Gas is cheap compared to what "it should be". Don't forget your fed & local governments-they get their 40% too.
:iagree: Although I don't like that the price for gas may be going up, in all reality it is still cheaper than it was.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:24 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: TIME TO FIGHT THESE GAS HIKES, please read (JRD77VET)

I have not bought Exxon or Mobile gas in years. Done deal.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:34 PM
no_radio
Drifting

Default Re: TIME TO FIGHT THESE GAS HIKES, please read (71,454,4spd)

Don't be a fool. This is another urban legend/urband myth.

See this link: http://api-ec.api.org/about/index.cf...02001000000000

As Paul B pointed out, gasoline is expensive because of the international energy situation and political climate. Even at today's prices gas is cheaper, indexed for inflation, than it was during our small crises in the '80s and '70s, and even cheaper than that 50 cent gas you and/or your parents remember from the '50s. Remember, movies were nickel back then (for a double feature no less!), and you're probably paying close to $10 now for a lousy film with 20 minutes of trailers and $3 coke.
Shut up and drive.
Jeff
Old 03-01-2003, 10:57 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a better idea. If you want gas prices to go down, use less gas. Drive less, buy a car that gets better mileage, encourage manufacturers to make vehicles that get better mileage. I don't think low gas prices is necessarily a good idea. Low prices encourage high consumption. I think they should add $1.00 of federal gas tax, which would force conservation. I dont think our salvation lies in driving vehicles at 12 mpg and keeping gas prices at $1.25. I paid $1.75/gallon in 1977! MJ
Old 03-01-2003, 11:00 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: TIME TO FIGHT THESE GAS HIKES, please read (no_radio)

Don't be a fool. This is another urban legend/urband myth.

See this link: http://api-ec.api.org/about/index.cf...02001000000000

As Paul B pointed out, gasoline is expensive because of the international energy situation and political climate. Even at today's prices gas is cheaper, indexed for inflation, than it was during our small crises in the '80s and '70s, and even cheaper than that 50 cent gas you and/or your parents remember from the '50s. Remember, movies were nickel back then (for a double feature no less!), and you're probably paying close to $10 now for a lousy film with 20 minutes of trailers and $3 coke.
Shut up and drive.
Jeff
:iagree: :thumbs:
Old 03-01-2003, 11:18 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

It can work if done on just a city level. The prices we pay are BS since an hour away you can get gas for ATLEAST 10 cents cheaper in La Crosse even though they pay the same taxes as we do, they also get their gas from the pipeline that runs into my city.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:49 PM
lobwedge
Racer

From what i have found the non import companies are Citgo Sunoco Conco Sinclair BP/Phillips Hess it my not make a difference and i respect the gents post to the fact that we will not effect them but Ill go to sleep knowing that the gas i buy wont help people who hate us simple minded i know but its a start maybe
Take care all
Wayne :flag :grouphug:

Get notified of new replies

To TIME TO FIGHT THESE GAS HIKES, please read

Old 03-02-2003, 06:48 AM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Default Re: TIME TO FIGHT THESE GAS HIKES, please read (lobwedge)

There will always be regional differences. I filled-up yesterday for $1.67/gal in a city about an hour away and local prices are $1.75/gal. The only thing you can really control is consumption.

45 years and counting...
Old 03-02-2003, 07:14 AM
amcom6
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '05

There's your KEY-"millions of people". Try to get that to happen. If all the smokers of the world gave up smoking for just one day, would anybody even notice??? I 'll probably get flamed for this, but you look at the price of cars, food, homes, clothes what they were back in the '60s to what they are now. If gasoline went up according to what everything else did GAS SHOULD BE $3.54 A GALLON. Gas is cheap compared to what "it should be". Don't forget your fed & local governments-they get their 40% too.
:iagree:
The Koreans here pay about $4.00 a gallon for gas and they still drive every day. I'm just happy that it's not that high in the US :flag
Old 03-02-2003, 10:36 AM
Michael Tucker
Burning Brakes

I for one will help RedBlazed. i drive over 1000 miles a week and get about 18mpg. Everybody keeps saying it would not do anything and and gas is low in the US. Well I have something to say about those comments. PEOPLE DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE! Look at all the people that dumped AOL stock :eek: that made one heck of a difference in the price of it. Also I lived in Germany for three years and the US government gave me gas where I did not have to pay the local tax and it was about the same price one would pay in the US so the high price is TAX. :eek: Just think how much we would pay for a computer if there we no technological advances. I would think this is also true in the oil industry or are they still in the stone ages? Movies did go for only .05 i guess, but the stars did not make so much back then.

RedBlazed in the past I only used Exxon from today on it will be something else. There is one Exxon a few blocks to the west of my house and its $1.55 there and the one a few blocks to the east of my house is $1.47
:cheers:

Mike

edit: my sp stinks

[Modified by Michael Tucker, 10:40 AM 3/2/2003]

Quick Reply: TIME TO FIGHT THESE GAS HIKES, please read