C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear shock: Bilstein sport or xtreme?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 06:17 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Rear shock: Bilstein sport or xtreme?

I'm going to order bilstein sports for the front, but trying to decide what to go with in the rear. I'll be running a 360# fiberglass spring.

I'm fairly certain the sports will do the trick all around, and would only go to the xtreme if it's necessary for the FG spring. This car is daily driven on not-too-great roads.

-Steve
Old 03-01-2003, 11:15 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Rear shock: Bilstein sport or xtreme? (Pacin'California)

TTT
Old 03-02-2003, 12:15 AM
ZL1powr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Bilstein Xtremes on the rear. I had put them on at the advice of Vett Brakes to help with wheel hop. They did help but ride quality was significantly degraded. I would stick with the sports.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:09 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

I suppose Sports. I know I'm just going to put QA1s on each corner so if I don't like how it rides I can just click it to where it will ride nice. If you would have waited I would have gladly sold you the Bilsteins I'll get in the Street and Slalom kit since I won't need them.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:58 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Rear shock: Bilstein sport or xtreme? (Schmucker)

When do you plan on switching to the QA1s?

If you don't drive your car, you could borrow my worn out bilstein heavy duties! :)

How did you like the Sports? Can you tell me more about the QA1s?

-Steve
Old 03-02-2003, 02:21 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

I haven't the car with anything but a worn original suspension. It'll cost $10 more to get the Street and Slalom kit vs. everything in the kit except the shocks. I'm going with the QA1s because they have 12 points of adjustment so I can set it up for road racing, street use, or wheel stands at the drag strip. :reddevil About $170-$180 each though. I plan on getting the suspension back on in a month, I hope. I really need to finish it. I have to get the transmission rebuilt too. Monty runs QA1s and likes them for his traverse front and rear dual mount leafs. I'll probably switch to that too once I feel the need for another upgrade.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:42 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've tried them both and went to KYB GR-2s to get a more acceptable ride. Xtremes - MUCH too stiff, Sports better but still too stiff for frequent driving. KYBs just about right. But note that I am running lower spring rates.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:56 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Rear shock: Bilstein sport or xtreme? (Schmucker)

I suppose Sports. I know I'm just going to put QA1s on each corner so if I don't like how it rides I can just click it to where it will ride nice. If you would have waited I would have gladly sold you the Bilsteins I'll get in the Street and Slalom kit since I won't need them.
I am needing a set of Bilsteins for my '80. I had bought most of the kit before the deal came out so I missed out on that .

I am in no hurry as I will not need them until spring so I can wait until yours come in. What would you take for them? JIM
Old 03-02-2003, 08:35 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

You could always go with the IAS's, me and few others really like them, I think Zwede has them as well.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 03-02-2003, 08:41 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Rear shock: Bilstein sport or xtreme? (73 LS-4)

I was definitely curious about the IASes. One thing for sure is that they're a very pretty shock.

Are you running them w/ the FG spring?

I am curious as to how they compare to the sports. I have definitely heard lots of good about the IASes!

-Steve

*edit* Do you have p/ns for the shocks? Edelbrock's site is down.

[Modified by Pacin'California, 5:45 PM 3/2/2003]
Old 03-02-2003, 09:05 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

I was definitely curious about the IASes. One thing for sure is that they're a very pretty shock.

Are you running them w/ the FG spring?

No, still have the stock BB springs on it now, will be doing a similiar swap to yours this spring I hope, with the 550 front springs and an undetermined rear spring as of yet. I know they work great with the 86's fiberglass springs os I don't see why not, unless the C3 springs are valved differently. Probably a question best asked to edelbrock, either that or someone may chime in that has them with a fiberglass rear spring.

I am curious as to how they compare to the sports. I have definitely heard lots of good about the IASes!

I can't really compare them to the sports since I've never used them. My best comparison would be with the 86 where it had the stock Z-51 Bilsteins replaced with the IAS's. There was no noticeable loss in cornering ability (seems just as stiff on a smooth corner) but there was a definite gain when you hit a bump during a corner and they would lighten up, where with the old shocks the rear end would try to come off the ground the IAs's gave and let the suspension give so grip wasn't lost. They do actually work as advertised. Normal ride quality is about the same as the Z-51 Bilsteins, but are deffinitly softer when you get in the really rough stuff (pot holes, speed bumps, road kill, etc.) I got mine from a non supporting vendor, if you do an archive search I have posted before on this subject as to their addy, they were also cheaper then most other sources, if you can't find it e-mail me. By the way, after seeing your car with the 550 springs it convinced me to go that route, I like the stance like that.

-Steve

*edit* Do you have p/ns for the shocks? Edelbrock's site is down.

[Modified by Pacin'California, 5:45 PM 3/2/2003]
:cheers:
Pat Kunz

Get notified of new replies

To Rear shock: Bilstein sport or xtreme?

Quick Reply: Rear shock: Bilstein sport or xtreme?