C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you ever look at your vette and think... it's not "perfect"??

Old 03-01-2003, 03:20 AM
luvmy73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you ever look at your vette and think... it's not "perfect"??

Whenever I look at my vette from about 10 feet away, I say to myself: "Wow that's a nice vette". But when I get right up in there it seems that nothing is as "perfect" as I want it to be. Is this some sort of mental corvette syndrome or something? My question is were any of these cars "perfect" when they rolled off the line back in the day? I look at NCRS cars and say... wow, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with these cars. I am a perfectionist so when I do something I try my hardest to make it look as good as possible, but it seems that I am never satisfied. When I look at my interior I always seemt to finds gaps inbetween panels, or little things that don't make it look as "perfect" as those NCRS cars.... or even the cars of some other forum members. (Perhaps the pictures I see of their cars are deceiving??) Or when I look at the engine bay... always seems like it could be better. I have put ALOT of new/nos parts into this car and they never seem to look as perfect as I'd expect... IS THIS NORMAL??? :crazy: ???

[Modified by luvmy73, 2:22 AM 3/1/2003]
Old 03-01-2003, 03:25 AM
1Bad69
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Do you ever look at your vette and think... it's not "perfect"?? (luvmy73)

some things i can live with, interior not lined up perfect, gaps between body panels..etc...as long as it looks good when it's going fast... :thumbs:
Old 03-01-2003, 07:21 AM
LakotasRose
Race Director

Default Re: Do you ever look at your vette and think... it's not "perfect"?? (1bad69)

EVERYDAY!!!!!!!! :lol:
Old 03-01-2003, 07:23 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Do you ever look at your vette and think... it's not "perfect"?? (LakotasRose)

:iagree:
Old 03-01-2003, 08:02 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Do you ever look at your vette and think... it's not "perfect"?? (groovyjay)

yeah all the time.
:iagree:
Old 03-01-2003, 08:24 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Do you ever look at your vette and think... it's not "perfect"?? (luvmy73)

I feel your pain. :yesnod: My wife gets on me all the time because I keep asking her "Do you think it looks good enough?". Since painting my car I keep looking at it and thinking maybe I should have done it this way, or I wish I would have done this or that. I am an **** perfectionist as well and the littlest imperfection will depress me a little. :crazy: :smash: The best therapy that I can recommend is a athorough pictorial documentation of before and after pics. :yesnod: When I look at what I started with and what I have now I think WOW! :eek: what a difference.

Just keep reminding yourself that it wasn't perfect from the factory and as long as yoiu take care of it you can always improve on it. :yesnod: :cheers:
Old 03-01-2003, 08:45 AM
SuperFast80
Race Director

Default Re: Do you ever look at your vette and think... it's not "perfect"?? (BlackRat)

Hahaha, this is an incurable disease! Really. :lol:
Old 03-01-2003, 09:19 AM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Do you ever look at your vette and think... it's not "perfect"?? (SuperFast80)

I just did that this morning!
Thought I'd go see how it was in storage. Then I start looking for things that are less than perfect. Really could use new door panels, dash pad, lock *****, gauge cluster... Then I see a spot in the fender where I made a repair last year has shrunk a little. People say I'm too picky. I wonder why?
Old 03-01-2003, 09:24 AM
amcom6
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Do you ever look at your vette and think... it's not "perfect"?? (LakotasRose)

:iagree: Me too!!!
Old 03-01-2003, 12:56 PM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Do you ever look at your vette and think... it's not "perfect"?? (amcom6)

Yes
Old 03-01-2003, 01:31 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Re: Do you ever look at your vette and think... it's not "perfect"?? (Red73)

I am no different than any of you. I have let tiny flaws in paint, etc, drive me nuts. I do not drive either of my Vettes in the rain or on any form of dirt road. I will literally turn around and go home and get a diffrent vehicle, or go out of my way 10 miles to avoid it.

But... take it from someone who has owned a car that won at numerous car shows, and was featured in a magazine. Having a show-quality paint job is fun, and people can stare at it from 5 inches away and try not to drool all over it. BUT... first time you take it out on the highway and get the tiniest chip in it (that only you can see, but 99% of everyone else won't) it will drive you nuts.

I have come full circle to the point where I would rather enjoy the car by driving it hard and often, than literally being paranoid that a tiny chip (door dings and scratches are different...those are really bad, and I am the guy who parks ALL of my vehicles on and "end spot" or away from the crowd when going out...my wife just laughs at me :lol:) will occur when taking a cruise down the road.

My '69 was repainted about 4 years ago and its in "very good shape", but definitely not perfect. But I know if I keep it long enough to get it repainted someday, I will not spend nearly the $$ I did on a previous vehicle. Maybe $3k, but not some 3' deep-looking paint job. For _me_ it was a curse.

Shoot, my '02 Z06 had a few tiny chips on my 500 mile drive home from the dealer. What can you do?

Enjoy the car, keep it clean (all the time :)), and drive the tires off of it. The concours cars are gorgeous, and those guys do a great job, and I'm sure they enjoy their cars as much as I do...but in a different way.

Old 03-01-2003, 03:29 PM
J75
Racer

Yes,thats why it's a never ending project.Vendors sure love me!
Old 03-01-2003, 03:40 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Do you ever look at your vette and think... it's not "perfect"?? (J75)

It's been a year and I still look at my Vette and think "someday I need to get that gray gelcoat hood painted to match the blue car" :lol:

AC
Old 03-01-2003, 03:52 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Do you ever look at your vette and think... it's not "perfect"?? (A C)

I do that all the time. And then I fix the thing I'm looking at, the the other thing right next to it starts to look like crap. And so it goes... :jester
Old 03-01-2003, 03:56 PM
PrarieShark
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Do you ever look at your vette and think... it's not "perfect"?? (A C)

If I listed all the thing I think the car needs I'd have to mortgage the house. :rolleyes:
Old 03-01-2003, 04:06 PM
fishman
Heel & Toe

I thought I was going crazy today. It started out as simply clean the engine bay for the new engine, then I noticed a few bushings on the suspension that needed replaced. The next thing I know, I have the entire drive side suspension sitting on the floor in the garage soaking it in degreaser, powerwashing it, and getting ready to sandblast for a coat of paint. My car is by no means a show car so why do I care so much? I finally had to quit working on it today before I had the body suspended in the air and cleaning the whole frame :crazy:
Old 03-01-2003, 04:07 PM
FASGLAS
Race Director

CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

About 5 minutes ago, but then I'll probably have the same thought the next time I see it...C'est la vie. :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Do you ever look at your vette and think... it's not "perfect"??

Old 03-01-2003, 05:43 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Yes. One of these running lights is 1/8" higher than the other ;) . Seriously, I know all the flaws in my car. But the flaws I have now are probably not as serious as those present when it left the factory.

Old 03-01-2003, 05:58 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Re: Do you ever look at your vette and think... it's not "perfect"?? (paul79)

Yes. One of these running lights is 1/8" higher than the other ;) .
You know, Paul... I _thought_ something was out of kilter there! :lol: No, your car looks awesome! I'm just playing with ya'.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:22 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YES...and well.....it isn't damn it!!!! :D :D
Eddie

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you ever look at your vette and think... it's not "perfect"??