C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throwout bearing linkage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 12:41 AM
Jim 77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Throwout bearing linkage?

:cuss
My clutch isn't disengaging fully. The pedal has very little resistance. The rubber boot that covers the throwout bearing linkage has always been free floating and too ragged to put back in. Everything that I can see (linkagewise) is still perfectly intact.
I stuck my finger in where the boot should be, and there's something in there that moves around a little... so I moved it. The pedal was firmer, once. the next time I depressed it there was no resistance.

What is going on/what broke? How does this get fixed, and can I do it myself? I'm going slightly mad...

Thanks,
Jim
Old 03-01-2003, 07:42 AM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Throwout bearing linkage? (Jim 77)

Sounds like the throwout bearing may have slipped out of the clutch fork. If the rest of the linkage looks right, then it's time to drop the tranny. :smash:
I've always found the Haynes manuel helpful to assist in visualizing the problem before tearing into something.
Old 03-01-2003, 09:50 AM
Clink69
Drifting

The clutch fork will move around a little, make sure the TO bearing is seated in the fork correctly. You might be able to see with a flashlite.
Old 03-01-2003, 01:47 PM
Jim 77
Racer

Default Re: Throwout bearing linkage? (Clink69)

I have located a problem. I don't know if it is "the" problem.

There is a rod connected to the fork. In my AIM, this rod has two springs. One spring connects to the fork. One spring connects to an arm. My car only has the spring connecting to the fork.

Could this be the cause of my problems? Can I get an off the shelf spring at the parts store, and if so, what size/type?
Thanks,
Jim
Old 03-01-2003, 06:48 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Highly unlikely to be your problem... Its past the fork, ie the TO or pressure plate..
Old 03-02-2003, 03:45 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Throwout bearing linkage? (Clink69)

Jim, I wish I could help you, but I don't have any info. I'm putting this back up to the top, in case someone else will see it to help you out.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:50 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Doesn't sound like an quik fix for your clutch Jim. But you can check the easy repairs first. Start with the linkage from the fork through to the firewall (including the cross bar). Mine had elongated holes everywhere the push rods connected. My shark also had the clutch pedal pin break loose of its weld. Yes there is two springs though I can't remember what they both do they should be connected up properly.
Now the ugly stuff. My fork had a broken retaining clip and wouldn't stay on the throwout bearing correctly. This needs R&R trans., linkage, bellhousing. Finally yur clutch may be wornout - this will also require large amounts of time and frustration. :seeya
Old 03-02-2003, 05:31 PM
Jim 77
Racer

Default Re: Throwout bearing linkage? (cardo0)

Thanks for all the input! However, my car will be off to the shop on monday :rolleyes:

Get notified of new replies

To Throwout bearing linkage?

Quick Reply: Throwout bearing linkage?