C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

been away for awhile, status on my '74

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 10:39 PM
Chinaski
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default been away for awhile, status on my '74

for the last few months i have been away from the forum (didn't have a net connection at home, DSL remedied that!!!) but I have been working on the vette! here is a list of what i've been doing...by the way, she is RUNNING again!!!!!!!

New water pump
radiator re-core
new radiator core support
new thermostat housing and thermostat
new radiator hoses and heater hoses
removed old bumper covers and detailed the bumper impact bars and everything underneath etc...(thank god for POR-15)
frame paint - still working on that
engine compartment detailed (the best i could with the engine still in it)
engine detail - i didn't remove the engine from the car, but painted where i could (think god for masking tape)
shocks all around

things to do:
get my tax return - then she goes in to my buddy's body shop for bumper cover mounting and some other minor body work at that time:
new chrome mirrors will be mounted (i will have a set of bullets for sale soon)
door jambs painted (i know the doors will have to be removed)
new carpet
new seat covers
minor electrical probs
new stock type stereo
new tires
hedders and exhaust
new starter, battery and alternator
tranny rebuild (4 speed)
suspension work

probably a million other things too, but at least she started and it's so nice to hear the growl of my "wimpy" L-48 motor again! (plus i did all that work myself, kinda proud!)

I have opted not to repaint my car since it still has the original paint...the paint is nowhere close to perfect, but still acceptable in my opinion...I don't have the funds to get the whole beast painted right now, i would rather spend money on suspension work and a new motor (eventually)
Old 03-01-2003, 02:21 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: been away for awhile, status on my '74 (eleven79)

Well, sounds like you're making headway then. :cool: You just had to tell me that you got DSL didn't you? And here I am with dial up and no other real choice, since I live in the middle of nowhere. :cuss Oh well, that gives me time to dring beer while I wait for the page to load. :cheers:

-Justin
Old 03-01-2003, 02:28 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Congratulations eleven79! :cheers:
You must share how to's on replacing the core support and radiator and shroud PLEASE! :confused:
I glued new seals on my replacement shroud but couldn't assemble the radiator to new support. The top core cap brackets from my '74 wouldn't bolt up on the generic '73-'76 design support with bolt holes in different location. How can I accuratly drill and/or mount my top core caps and make it all work?
Also should I assemble the A/C condenser with coolant lines attached to core support along with shroud and radiator like one big sandwich? Then stuff the whole package in together? :confused:
shoptech was going to post his adventure with this but either I missed his updates or the situation has deteriated. :banghead: I'm still looking for a happy ending to this story. :nopity
Old 03-01-2003, 11:36 AM
Chinaski
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Re: been away for awhile, status on my '74 (cardo0)

i do not have ac so i can't help you with that aspect but here is what i remember doing.....after removing the fan cluch and water pump pulley, i removed the fan shroud extension and was able to wiggle the shroud out that way, took awhile, but it can be done. (still had the water pump on at that point) after that i removed the old core support and radiator as a sandwich. when the new support arrived, i assembled the re-cored radiator and new support...i remember that it was a little bit of a trick to get everything lined up properly so the brackets would fit over the radiator tanks...i didn't have a problem with the brackets attaching to the new support....after removing the water pump, i installed the new core support and radiator as a single unit. with the water pump removed it wasn't to difficult to install the fan shroud...i did have to drill new holes for the shroud to support brackets...i bolted them on using grade 8 bolts, keep in mind i am not doing an NCRS level restoration here. there is probably a better way to do that, i will explore that later. my fan shroud is pretty chewed up on the bottom, so i will probably replace that next winter. it's not that this project is that hard, it's just really time consuming and takes a lot of tweaking to make it work right. have fun, i didn't!!!! hahaha!!!

'74 L-48 coupe numbers match
4 speed
original yellow paint
Old 03-01-2003, 11:41 AM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

:cool:

Get notified of new replies

To been away for awhile, status on my '74

Quick Reply: been away for awhile, status on my '74