C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 04:42 PM
RedBlazed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS??

so I finally got to take my 1970 BB 454 in to get a new carb (don't have the original Q-jet, or anything worth rebuilding) a new intake manifold, MSD blah blah. Anyway, my point, when I told him to go with an E/B 750 Q-jet, and he had other ideas. He said I would be much better off by going with an E/B Thunder Series AVS with Electric choke, and that's what they normally go with on the C-3's he's worked on that want new carbs. I trust the guy, and after hearing more about his thoughts on the E/B Q-jet, I decided to go with his advice and see what happens. He has gaurantees on everything he does, so if I don't like it, he'll replace it with whatever, no problem, money back, etc. So I was wondering what the forum's take on this carb is, if anyone had experiences with it, or if you have one right now that you love or hate. I guess my other option is a Demon for like $100+ more, or telling him to just have the E/B Q-jet anyway. My mechanic is a big E/B lover, and an even bigger Holley hater, which is fine, cuz I'm no big fan of Holleys. Now remember, this for street perf and normal use, not strip or racing or things like that.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:41 PM
RedBlazed
Advanced

Default Re: Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS?? (RedBlazed)

ttt, would really like some advice on this, and this forum is the best place for that.

Also, I'm now reading about CraneCams ignition stuff, how much better is it that the MSD 6AL and MSD tach-drive dist I'm having put in right now?
Old 02-28-2003, 09:25 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

for what it's worth my mechanic has the exact same feeling about the Edelbrock carb and the same disdain for Holley carbs.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:45 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know if he's right or not but I ordered mine and it's coming Monday. :party: I didn't want to go with the Holley because of the potential for leaks. What I really wanted was a carb that I could just bolt on and go with. Also, the Edelbrocks seem a lot easier to set up because you don't have to drain them and take everything apart everytime you want to make an adjustment. JMHO, I hope I'm right.
Old 02-28-2003, 10:31 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

This month's Hot Rod has a small article on that carb., haven't read it yet.
Old 03-01-2003, 02:11 AM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

They're a slightly upgraded version of the Performer line. I for one really like the Edelbrock carbs. Easy to set up and worry free.

One thing to keep in mind, in my experience, and most others, they tend to be a bit rich out of the box. Drive it and test before you make any changes. But you might find yourself going a stage or two leaner than delivered

Also, watch your fuel pressure. Typically they don't like more than 6 psi. Higher fuel pressure will overcome the needles and waste a bunch of gas. I put a fuel regulator in line, with port 2 taking the excess to the return line.

Old 03-01-2003, 02:49 PM
RedBlazed
Advanced

Default Re: Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS?? (biltogo)

Thanks for the added info on its richness and fuel pressure needs. My mechanic will be doing all the configurations and testing before I get my car back.

I was more or less trying to get a feel for how it performs and its fuel efficiency and reliability when compared to like Holleys, Demons, and Q-jets. That type of thing if anyone has any experience or article links with that...
Old 03-02-2003, 04:54 AM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

I was more or less trying to get a feel for how it performs and its fuel efficiency and reliability when compared to like Holleys, Demons, and Q-jets. That type of thing if anyone has any experience or article links with that...
IMO, thry're all equal, it's a matter of setup and tuning in. The Edelbrock is much easier to work with and live with.

Get notified of new replies

To Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS??

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS??