C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im retarded

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 02:38 PM
ill_driver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im retarded

Hey,
Ive got some stuff to fix on my 76 Stingray and I was wondering if any of you had some input.

1. My driver side door lock jams frequently. I took off the door panel and messed with the door handle mechanism and got the lock working for a few days, but now my outside handle doesn't work. It just slides all the way down with no resistance.

2. My headlights dont go down. Im not sure wether or not the vaccum pumps are shot or wether they are not hooked up right... Some guy told me those are not very much fun to mess with.

3. Im thinking about getting about aftermarket rims... any suggestions?

4. Im trying to put a sound system in (hopefully two 6x9's and two 12" subs) Anybody had any success with that?

Thanks for any of your feedback.
Karl
Old 02-28-2003, 02:42 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: Im retarded (ill_driver)

Sounds like the rod has slipped off on the door handle. You will have to hook it back on. again by taking off dor panel and also the lock mechanism to get to it

Headlights- need to check the vacum lines and Actuators..Have you tried to manually let them down

I like the TT's Tourque thrusters..Lots of folks have them here

There of lotsof threads on stereos...I can't hear mine for the exhaust :reddevil

[Modified by Alwyn678, 2:44 PM 2/28/2003]
Old 02-28-2003, 02:46 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Im retarded (ill_driver)

Regarding the headlights - check the vacuum switch that is directly under the
steering column. It allows you to lock the headlights in the 'up' position and
turn the headlight switch off at the same time. I'm not sure whick way is locked (up/down).

[Modified by NHvette, 2:47 PM 2/28/2003]
Old 02-28-2003, 10:24 PM
Chinaski
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Re: Im retarded (NHvette)

on my '74, when you pull the switch down the headlights pop-up....pushing it up lets the headlights back down....that prob could be as simple as making sure the vac lines are connected to the switch....i'm not sure how often accuators go bad, maybe somebody could chime in with info on that.
Old 02-28-2003, 10:37 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Im retarded (eleven79)

Actuators dont fail often, other than shaft seals which is the opposite of your problem. I rather work on a vac light problem than do other tasks.
Old 02-28-2003, 10:43 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Im retarded (71,454,4spd)

Actuators dont fail often, other than shaft seals which is the opposite of your problem. I rather work on a vac light problem than do other tasks.
:iagree:

Then again... I bought a new GM OEM door handle because my driver's side sags and after I took the door panel off to see what was involved it went right back on. And then sold it to a CorvetteForum member. The darn thing still works. :D

Get notified of new replies

To Im retarded

Quick Reply: Im retarded