C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric fuel pumps, anyone got pics?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 08:29 AM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Electric fuel pumps, anyone got pics?

I just got my Summit billet electric fuel pump yesterday. I plan to install it on the inside frame rail at the rear of the passenger side. I spent about 5 min under the car this morning and it looks like it's going to be a little lower than I had anticipated.

Does anyone have pics of their elect pump installed?
Old 02-28-2003, 04:41 PM
macadamizer
3rd Gear

Default Re: Electric fuel pumps, anyone got pics? (BeaterShark)

Here's a picture of how I mounted my Holley blue pump at the rear of my '68:

Basically, it's mounted using two bolts (and some rubber to try and isolate the vibrations) to the rear frame rail on the passenger side. I have it set up so that the blue line at the top feeds into a Fram canister fuel filter mounted to the right of the fuel pump, then a line from the filter leads into the pump (I found that without the filter, I had some problems with the bypass on the Holley hanging up. The Summit's probably a better pump). I also have a regulator mounted just past the fuel pump -- I fabbed a bracket to hold it to the passenger side frame -- I found that with my headers, if I ran the 12 or so PSI that the blue pump puts out into the engine compartment, then used a regulator in the engine compartment to bring it down to 6 psi, I got vapor lock problems (I was living in LA at the time). Now I run 7.5 psi into the engine compartment, then I have a second regulator to bring it down to 6 psi -- this avoids vapor locking (of course, now that I don't live in LA, maybe I don't need to worry about it anymore anyway, but I figured if it works, why change it). BTW, I have 2 regulators because I have found that while my Holley Carb likes around 6 psi, my nitrous system likes 7 or 7.5...

Anyway, I hope the picture helps. Good luck with your install.

Richard
Old 03-01-2003, 06:35 AM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Default Re: Electric fuel pumps, anyone got pics? (macadamizer)

Here's mine installed on my 81, had a local shop make an aluminum mount for me for $20 and mounted it to the spot where the spare tire carrier bracket was.
Old 03-01-2003, 03:44 PM
zZArAZz
Racer

Default Re: Electric fuel pumps, anyone got pics? (C3 Shark Tank)

Thats awesome Shark Tank. Do you ever hear it vibrate when in the car?
I mounted mine on the fender well and it makes tons of noise...
Old 03-01-2003, 04:48 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are rubber dampers sold by a local supplier that absorbs alot of the noise. It is like a rubber motor mount. It bolts to the frame by one flange and the second flange bolts to the pump. The two flanges are joined by a about 1 inch of isolation rubber. I could post a picture of these noise suppressors on Monday when I go back to work if anyone is interested.
Old 03-01-2003, 05:21 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Default Re: Electric fuel pumps, anyone got pics? (zZArAZz)

Thats awesome Shark Tank. Do you ever hear it vibrate when in the car?
I mounted mine on the fender well and it makes tons of noise...
Thanks. I don't get any vibration from it, but I did put a piece of rubber between the mount and frame. The pumps are noisy though and I do hear it a little while stopped but running sidepipes and the 383 drown out the noise most of the time and now I don't even notice it. I'm in the process of replacing my carpet and installed some double sided foil heat barrier so maybe that will help. So far it hasn't bothered me really.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:15 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Electric fuel pumps, anyone got pics? (BeaterShark)

BeaterShark-I know an in-tank pump isn't the kind of pump you want to install, but I thought I would show it anyway.
Scott- I didn't know you were so talented. Good installation.
Dan

Old 03-02-2003, 08:33 AM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Default Re: Electric fuel pumps, anyone got pics? (vettedan)

Scott- I didn't know you were so talented. Good installation.
Dan- I can even walk and chew gum at the same time, count past 10 without removing my shoes, and change my own oil :lol: :jester however I'm still baffled by electronic things :D
Old 03-03-2003, 09:46 AM
BeaterShark
Drifting

All, thanks for the pics.

macadamizer, I can't really see where it is mounted to. Do you have any other pics taken from farter away?

Norval, I'd love to see those dampers.

C3SharkTank, that install looks really good. I'm a little confused as to where the hose comes from the tank, though. On my '69, it is towards the front of the tank on the bottom pointing to the passenger side.

I didn't start the install this weekend like I had planned, but I believe that I'm going to mount it on the crossmember in front of the tank and just behind the differential. I don't have the spare tire carrier and I'll probably use it's mounting bolt for the bracket I need to fab

Get notified of new replies

To Electric fuel pumps, anyone got pics?

Quick Reply: Electric fuel pumps, anyone got pics?