C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repainting a Bassboat

Old 02-27-2003, 02:42 PM
97Z
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Repainting a Bassboat

Hey everyone. I've got a 1984 rangerbass boat that I need to repaint. The question I have is, Do I need to re-gelcoat the whole danmed hull, Or can I get away with Epoxy primer and a good base/clear system? I just put a 250 H.P. outboard on her, and would like to bring the looks up to par with the Yamaha. What is not nessisarily the cheapest but the better way to accomplish this? Thanks Mike
Old 02-27-2003, 05:09 PM
Rich80
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Repainting a Bassboat (97Z)

Ask that question here. These guys can help!! http://www.wmi.org/www/boating/boatboard/index.html

Old 02-27-2003, 09:18 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Repainting a Bassboat (Rich80)

Mike, you do not have to gel coat the boat in order to paint it. You can sand it and apply epoxy primer-sealer and then paint it. I know several people who painted their boats with Imron single stage. Imron is a very durable paint and easy to spray. I'm not sure how basecoat/clearcoat would hold up. Maybe someone else has some experience with it. Craig
Old 02-27-2003, 09:26 PM
nitrocharger
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Repainting a Bassboat (97Z)

If you want a solid color, just paint it. But if you want to keep the metallic flake finish, I'd recommend taking it to a boat shop. When I had my 86 Ranger 320, the gel-coat was destroyed because the previous owner left it in the sun w/o a cover. It ran me about $1200 for them to do this and it looked like new when they were done.
~Christian

Get notified of new replies

To Repainting a Bassboat

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Repainting a Bassboat