C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Mounting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 01:33 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Top Mounting Problem

When I put the top up on my car the passenger side latch keeps popping up. I tried adjusting it several times last year to no avail. The parts don't appear to be worn but maybe. Has anyone had this problem? What's the solution?
Thanks!
Old 02-27-2003, 01:58 PM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Convertible Top Mounting Problem (lbell101)

Kinda have that problem and tried adjusting mine too but it still does it.

I fasten the three latches across the windshielf first but if I push down on the rear latch on the driver's side first, it always pops back up when I do the passenger side. Yet if I do the passenger side first and then the driver's side they both stay latched nice and tight. The passenger always stay's latched on the first try.

I gave up on the driver's side adjustment and now always just do the passenger side first. That's probably no help to you though is it :D
Old 02-27-2003, 02:14 PM
MYBLU71
Racer

I have had the same problem. There are two screws on the bracket that the pin mounts in. I had to move mine and adjust the pin out a little to get it to work right... Otherwise, I had to do the same as above and do the passenger side first then the driver side... :smash:
Old 02-27-2003, 02:23 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not going to be much help either. Mine did it with the old top, and quit after I removed the hatch (body prep) and then re-installed all the hardware on it. It got even better after I replaced the top and put a tight, new seal on the rear bow. Funny thing is, my hardware is quite worn (latches and pins) and should be replaced, but why mess with success?

Hans
Old 02-27-2003, 05:20 PM
jdunne
Burning Brakes

Me too,and doesn't it give you the sh*****,sometimes it works fine until i go over a big bump,other times it pops going out of a driveway...i have adjusted every part of the hood except the rear perspex,and i don't think it has made a blind bit of difference....the most useful adjustments seem to be the slotted screws on the spear brackets and the length of the spears,the shortest length on the spears seems to be best...john :chevy :cry
Old 02-27-2003, 10:55 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Thanks!

Guess I wait until I install a new top and see what happens.
At least I know it's a common problem. It doesn't seem to matter which side I start on. Once in a while I think I have it licked and then I feel a bump, a loud noise, and a breezy feeling on my neck!
Old 02-27-2003, 11:23 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Jeez, without looking at your car specifically, it's hard to say...but my car did have the symptoms for a few months, then I finally adjusted it out, and it was fine since then...been near 6 years now.....so once correct, I presume the adjustment will stay....

one trouble I did have though was involving the shape of the lever on the pass side....the two pronged cam/catch one of the arms was too long and insisted on catching the plate on the fiberglass....breaking it loose....
so I trimmed it off allmost 1/4 inch with a dremel cutter...has worked fine now without troubles for about 4 years.....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible Top Mounting Problem

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Mounting Problem