C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Story Short On the Carb

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 11:53 AM
71DropTop
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Story Short On the Carb

The rebuilt I bought from Zip 3 mos back ended up having a bent air horn so I'm replacing it with the edelbrock #1901 for my BB.. the question I have is.
The jets and rods in the edelbrock don't match the engine for my year for example. 71 had .077 jets and and the edelbrock has .069 . should I change all this first or put the carb on as is.. (i'm still learning) without changes and try it first. Remember I am also running a pretty hefty cam.. :confused:
Old 02-27-2003, 12:42 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I recommend putting it on as-is first, for one simple reason. Car should run fine, but if it doesnt, at least you won't be wondering if you screwed it up yourself when you took the top off and changed out the jets and rods! Secondly, you will have a baseline and will appreciate the performance gains you achieve when you make the changes. MJ

Old 02-27-2003, 12:48 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: (MNJack)

:iagree: If you leave the carb as is, you will have a baseline to make adjustments from. Different carbs will also perform differently.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:09 PM
71DropTop
Racer

Default Re: Long Story Short On the Carb (71DropTop)

Thanks guys, Good point on noticing changes if needed and working with a baseline.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:18 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,920 Likes on 1,929 Posts

71 -
You can't directly compare one Q-Jet jetting combination to another: The Q-Jets had different internal fuel & air restrictor & bleed calibrations, and these changes cause the different Q-Jet model numbers to be jetted differently. For instance, BB cars did not have air bleed restrictors in the venturi area, whereas SB carbs did. This changes the jetting requirement.

One thing you will probably notice on your 1901 is that it is jetted a touch on the lean side: It has a jetting combination usually used on GMC trucks. With this in mind, and watching for lean indications, try the carb out and keep your jetting changes smart and conservative.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:36 PM
71DropTop
Racer

OK the Edelbrock 1901 is in and this baby fired right up :cheers:
with the exception of a few minor adjustments I actually took it for a ride without even turning a screwdriver!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: not bad for out of the box :D and again leave it to the forum for great advise...... It is always appreciated. :cheers:

[Modified by 71DropTop, 8:38 PM 2/27/2003]
Old 02-28-2003, 02:07 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

The 1904 I run is a bolt on out of the box deal too.The 406 has a fairly lumpy cam,and I find the idle is rich.I was told the power valve springs may be too strong for my cam,and at this stage I'm leaning towards a Holley 3310.
Just thaught you might need to switch springs before you start with the jets.

Get notified of new replies

To Long Story Short On the Carb

Quick Reply: Long Story Short On the Carb