C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QA1 adjustable shocks

Old 02-26-2003, 11:47 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default QA1 adjustable shocks

I'm seriously starting to consider these shocks as opposed to the Bilsteins VBP puts in their Street and Slalom kit. They have 12points of adjustability, which would be perfect for going around town, then change it for drag racing and so I can do wheel stands (IRS is great for that...). They seem to be a good idea. I think Monty has them.
My dad also figured out a way to install coilovers. Make a disc that sits up into where the coil spring would normally go. It would have a bolt that goes through and bolts it into the stock shock mount. On the disc there would be two tabs to bolt the coilver in place. The bottom would also need to be strengthened I'm sure. Only problem is that this would move the shock down a few inches so getting the right coilover would be needed, unless the lower attachment point was put on.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:35 AM
Lohkay
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: QA1 adjustable shocks (Schmucker)

I was looking at this myself... god knows how many ideas went through my head regarding this damn suspension. :rolleyes: I came to the decision that I need coilovers on each wheel. For the front, I looked at coilover conversion kits and figured they weren't needed....it can be done urself... now you can go about this in different ways. My current idea is to get rid of the current shock mount on the frame and replace it with a support for coilover. Same goes for the lower a-arm. Cause even though you'd want to mount the coilover to the current shock mount, you'd have to reinforce it. So I'd say, cut it off and replace it. Anyway...your idea sounds good and I'm interested in updates on your progress!
Old 02-27-2003, 03:33 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is lowered a couple of inches front and rear with the use of VB's front and rear trnasverse systems, so I needed shocks with a shorted compessed height to keep from bottoming them out.

I'm using QA1's TC-1914-P and TC-1574-P on the rear. For stock height suspensions, QA1 recommedns TC-1958-P for the front and TC-1576-P for the rear.

They work very well with the VB composite springs. I've already tried all the shocks VB recommends and to me these seemed to work the best, plus they are easily adjustable if you want to switch from a street to a track setting.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:40 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Default Re: QA1 adjustable shocks (Monty)

Excellent information. I'll probably have the car lowered a few inches, but I don't think I'll put coilovers on, atleast not at this point, but I'd like adjustable shocks so I can go between wheel stands for the strip and regular driving (although set to a more aggressive setting)
Old 02-27-2003, 06:38 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

The coilovers are trick and all, but even the experts say they aren't much of an improvement of a transverse system. There was a thread over on the autocrossing/road racing board recently and even the C5R racers agreed.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:12 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

So it would probably be better to get VBPs Street and Slalom, some QA1 shocks, sell the Bilsteins (figures out the kit-shocks equals $990, wereas the kit is $1000, so the shocks are $10, plus I'm garunteed all the hardware to install and I can probably sell them and make my money back) and then later on go to the dual mount leafs in the rear and front. Can I adjust the weight balance with transverse leafs? My dad wants to get 3 more grain scales (already has one) so that we can put cars on them and balance the weight on each wheel as we see fit. One other point though, aren't coilovers lighter than a transverse leaf? Having less weight on the wheels would be beneficial, wouldn't it?
Old 02-27-2003, 11:27 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grain scales eh? Hmmmm

Remember that only 1/2 of the weight of the shock is unsprung, not much really
Old 02-27-2003, 11:33 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Default Re: QA1 adjustable shocks (427V8)

Grain scales eh? Hmmmm
Remember that only 1/2 of the weight of the shock is unsprung, not much really
But the weight of the car isn't even on all four wheels (if that is what you want). You atleast want the weight even on left side and right side. My dad even read an article about a Mustang were there was 400lbs more on the front wheel on one side and the back wheel on the other side, so there was more weight diagonally.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:48 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Schmucker,

It's just my opinion that the QA1 shocks felt better with the transverse springs. Shock valving and suspension setup is a highly personal thing based on how you use the car, the road conditions, personal preferences, etc. I'm hesitant to recommend or suggest things like that becuase I'd hate to be responsible or influential in you wasting your money if you don't like them.

With the transverse springs, you can adjust the ride height and spring rate (within the parameters of the adjustment holes/blocks) at each wheel independently as you can with coil overs.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:10 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Okay, excellent. That will leave more room for improvement. I doubt you could say anything that would make me not like how the car handles as the only thing I have for comparison is a Crown Victoria and some minivans. Anything handles better than those cars. I'm putting coil springs on for now and that gives me something to upgrade to for the future, and the install is slightly easier. I'm running out of time for this winter, I've got to have the car ready to roll by April.

Get notified of new replies

To QA1 adjustable shocks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: QA1 adjustable shocks