C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dome Light Switch-Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 05:21 PM
Vader953
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dome Light Switch-Please Help

Fellas,

My dome light comes on fine when I open a door. But when I turn the headlight ****, it won't come on (manual operation). Has this happened to anyone else? How do I fix it so when I twist the **** till it clicks, the light comes on?

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2003, 07:43 PM
guppie
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: Dome Light Switch-Please Help (Vader953)

Same thing here, My dome light works fine with the doors but nothing with the light switch being turned. Same with the spare tire light is supposed to work when it's turned. Everything I'm seeing and hearing it's a headlight switch, no fuses seem to be blown. At present time I'm trying to find a GM part number for a switch but haven't found one. Where I work (NAPA) the books list up to 77 then skips to 79. I've been on a lot of sites and the only one I've found has been with Ecklers for around $60
Old 02-26-2003, 07:48 PM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW...I had an SA awhile back that did the same thing and I had to replace the darn light switch to fix it. Back then the parts were readily available at the dealer but I doubt that's the case now. :)
Old 02-26-2003, 08:09 PM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you control the brightness of your instrument lights? If not and your light switch is the same as my 68 and 70's then you have a reostat problem. In the light switch and visable when removed is the reostat wire, looks like a spring. If it has burned into the electrical circuit is open and the instrument lights will not work. Another thought, does your 78 have a timer on the dome lights to prevent battery rundown if the dome light is left on?
Old 02-26-2003, 10:06 PM
Vader953
Instructor

Default Re: Dome Light Switch-Please Help (70ZZ3 96LT4)

Excellent questions 70ZZ3. I do have the Convenince Group option with the delay light, and it works properly. My instrument lights also dim without a problem at the twist of the ****. Anybody have another guess?
Old 02-26-2003, 10:38 PM
fritz76
Intermediate

When you open the door the door switch makes, essentially completeing the dome light circut to ground. Same happens when you rotate the light switch. It completes the dome light circut to ground making the light come on. The contacts in the light switch could be corroded which are easy to clean after you manage to get the switch out.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:16 AM
Vette Named Danielle
Intermediate

Wow, same problem here!
Old 03-05-2003, 10:40 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Dome Light Switch-Please Help (fritz76)

When you open the door the door switch makes, essentially completeing the dome light circut to ground. Same happens when you rotate the light switch. It completes the dome light circut to ground making the light come on. The contacts in the light switch could be corroded which are easy to clean after you manage to get the switch out.
:iagree: :iagree: Yep...clean switch first. Replace if necessary.

Get notified of new replies

To Dome Light Switch-Please Help

Quick Reply: Dome Light Switch-Please Help