C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior dye/paint

Old 02-26-2003, 12:10 AM
FASGLAS
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Default Interior dye/paint

Has anyone used the dye/paint sold by most of the aftermarket people? If so, where the results good?
Old 02-26-2003, 09:33 AM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Interior dye/paint (FASGLAS)

Yep. Bright Blue from Corvette America. I have used both Spray Cans and my own spray gun. Worked fabulous. The spray gun method was a little tricky to figure out, but once I realized that I needed a denser spray than I was using (the metalflake will 'float' if you spray too dry), it all came together very nicely.

[Modified by pws69, 9:34 AM 2/26/2003]
Old 02-26-2003, 10:35 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure have. Corvette America dye and SEM brand from a local parts store. I've had great results with both...although the SEM is available anytime I want it and is $5.00 cheaper. As everyone here will tell you....surface prep is the main key to a good longlasting dye job...no matter who's brand you use. Clean...clean...then clean some more before dying. Numerous light coats works the best. It allows the grain to show through.
Good Luck
Eddie
Old 02-26-2003, 11:23 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Interior dye/paint (Silvr77)

SEM is the preferred brand used by most professional shops. It is as good as it gets.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:29 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Looks brand new!
I used the stuff sold by MidAm.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:32 PM
B
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i used the mid america stuff and it turned out real good. make sure you clean the heck out of everything before you spray it.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:39 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Interior dye/paint (Silvr77)

Clean...clean...then clean some more before dying
Clean with what? Soap and water, windex, alcohol? :confused:
Old 02-26-2003, 03:29 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Interior dye/paint (72GACRZR)

I used simple green, then finally a touch of lacquer thinner. let completely dry overnight and sprayed.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:59 PM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Interior dye/paint (Stewart's74)

I put the medium size plastic pieces, like the lower kick panels in the front, in the dishwasher with the dryer turned off. Cleaned them like a dream.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:11 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I used Corvette America dye. I bought a quart, loaded my interior parts in the truck and took them to a body shop and had them prep and spray the interior pieces for $80.00 labor. They did my upper dash, pash dash, kick panels, and pieces that attach to the front of the shifter console. They matched my new purchased interior parts exactly. I think I got a good deal and I didn't have to mess with the spray cans. The Rep told me that buying the dye for a spray gun is the best way to go.

Old 02-27-2003, 10:09 AM
parklawn
Instructor

Has anyone used the dye/paint sold by most of the aftermarket people? If so, where the results good?
Yes....I used Silver Green from Corvette America and it worked great......just finished the interior parts last week........and it looks great........did it all mysef with the spray cans and once you get over that you are using a dye and not a paint.....no problems.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :steering: :steering:
Old 02-27-2003, 10:58 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,449 Likes on 755 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I've had great success; even out of the spray can. the stuff is tough and paints almost flawlessly. It is great to just brighten up stuff or cover minor blemishes. I was going to get my steering wheel redone for a few minor blemishes, and figured I had nothing to lose. It worked great; wheel looks like new. I just bought some red original armrests and used Oyster over them. They look factory fresh. I have done most interior panels at this point and everyhtin looks factory new. :smash: :smash:
Old 02-27-2003, 04:39 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Interior dye/paint (gliot1)

What concentration of Simple Green? I have a big spray bottle of it, fully concentrated. Getting ready to do this myself (despite the cold...I'm doing it inside w/ ventilation :))

-Chris

Edit: Also, wondering if black is any easier that lighter colors? It is going over a silver/smoke type color.

[Modified by RUXperienced, 3:46 PM 2/27/2003]
Old 03-05-2003, 12:31 AM
FASGLAS
Race Director

CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Default Re: Interior dye/paint (RUXperienced)

Thanks ALL :cheers: I feel a little better about this now. Thanks again! :thumbs: :)
Old 03-05-2003, 08:40 AM
carl a
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used the spray can got it from corvette central, worked better than the pint i got from the paint shop-matched perfect! i did the seat backs-kick panels-radio access panels-- rear storage compartments---seat belt vinal covers AND IT CAN BE USED ON CARPET TO COVER SUN FADING--SPRAY AND USE A SCRUB BRUSH TO GET IN THE MATTING worked great!!!
Old 03-05-2003, 01:03 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Interior dye/paint (RUXperienced)

RUX
I used Dawn dishsoap/water in a fairly heavy concentration to clean the parts that had grime on them. After this I towel dried them and then let em air dry for a while longer. After that I took Xylol solvent (like a paint thinner but dries a little slower than mineral spirits) and wiped down the parts to be sure that were very clean. You will still pull some dirt out of hte parts after the dawn dish soap clean up. Just go easy with the solvent as you can start to deform the grain on the harder plastic parts.

The softer vinyl will also be affected if you rub to hard in trh esame sopt for too long.

But once I had done ht erub down with Xyulol and let then dry for a few minutes, they would be ready to shoot.

I went black from tan original and it turned out great. I am totally peased with the results. I used SEM black on the dash areas and door panels. I used Plastikote vinyl paint from PEP boys/Walmart on most upper birdcage/rear trim and they turned out just as good.

I used a Molecubond true dye (Walmart auto section) on the seat covers and this came out very good and supposedly wont wear off like the vinyl paint will. All the stuff form the catalog houses is a really a paint.

The difference between the SEM black and plastikote black is the hue of the black. The quality and durability is identical.

Best of Luck

Brent.......

Get notified of new replies

To Interior dye/paint

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior dye/paint