C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To the AR engine owners... need some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 09:06 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default To the AR engine owners... need some help

I have finally blown just about enough money to finally get to the point of installing the 355 and fire it up in the next 2-3 weeks. I'm sure Olivier and a few others can maybe fill me in on a few things I need to ask Mark(AR), but I thought I would get some feedback here first.

1) I plan on retorquing every accessible bolt before the engine ever gets fired up. Did Mark mention anything in particular that should be checked?

2) How close... if any... was the valve train set-up that you recieved? As in... did they do any pre-setting of valves to give a baseline to work off of? I am working with hydraulic valves & not roller rockers. Just getting a feeling of what I am working with.

3) Timing... what was their recommendations of advance for your engines?

4) Has anyone got Mark's e-mail address handy? IM it to me if so. I've got it in a load of paperwork out in the garage somewhere.

Thanks for any help...
Old 02-26-2003, 12:31 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: To the AR engine owners... need some help (bgrice)

ttt

Just making sure those who went though the venture are able to see this.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:15 AM
BeachinVette
Drifting

I don't have one of thier engines but I talked my buddy into getting one. He got the 355/427hp. Definately re-torqe everything. I found a timing cover bolt just stuck by perma seal. I do not think they did any base line for the valves, I suggest you losen them up then adjust them when you get it running. We plan on getting this one running about the same time frame as you, maybe a little sooner. You will also need a oil filter adapter. I am sure they did not put one in your block either. No suggestions on the timing from them. I have marks email at home I will shoot it to you in the morning. ( they changed thier email). He did suggest a 1" spacer on top of the intake. We are putting a 670 holley Street Avenger on top. Also make sure you prime the oil system.

Bob
Old 02-26-2003, 12:58 PM
mpro71vette
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Barry, I can't wait until you get it fired up. The only thing Mark told me was that my adjustment of the valves were all set but I have roller rockers. When mine goes in I plan on going through everything again. keep us up to date how it goes, I won't be doing mine for a couple months! :cheers:
Old 02-26-2003, 01:11 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

I have finally blown just about enough money to finally get to the point of installing the 355 and fire it up in the next 2-3 weeks. I'm sure Olivier and a few others can maybe fill me in on a few things I need to ask Mark(AR), but I thought I would get some feedback here first.

1) I plan on retorquing every accessible bolt before the engine ever gets fired up. Did Mark mention anything in particular that should be checked?

2) How close... if any... was the valve train set-up that you recieved? As in... did they do any pre-setting of valves to give a baseline to work off of? I am working with hydraulic valves & not roller rockers. Just getting a feeling of what I am working with.

4) Has anyone got Mark's e-mail address handy? IM it to me if so. I've got it in a load of paperwork out in the garage somewhere.

Thanks for any help...
Well - they put a tag on my engine with the specs...
Each engine will have different specs... Mine had to be set to 23 degrees at idle and 38 degrees total timing...
I never had the rocker arms adjusted.. Everything is still the way it was setup when I received the engine...

Marks e-mail is: auto-restorations@erols.com

:cheers:

Olivier
Old 02-26-2003, 01:12 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: To the AR engine owners... need some help (GrandSportC3)

Thanks for any help...

Well - they put a tag on my engine with the specs...
Each engine will have different specs... Mine had to be set to 23 degrees at idle and 38 degrees total timing...
I never had the rocker arms adjusted.. Everything is still the way it was setup when I received the engine...

Marks e-mail is: auto-restorations@erols.com

Olivier
Well - the only thing that was changed on my engine was the intake.. I don't like dual plane intakes and therefore I took off the dual plane intake that came on the engine and replaced it with a single plane intake..

Olivier
Old 02-26-2003, 07:07 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Thanks for the responses Bob, Mark & Olivier. That's what makes this forum great as you get to hear other's experiences and maybe(just maybe) learn a few things about the commonalities of the engines we have bought.

Bob...

The only reason I asked about the valve train is that I would have really expected a few loose rockers or pushrods that might spin easy if they just tightened them down for shipping purposes. I will be shooting Mark an e-mail this weekend after I get all my ducks in a row of the questions I want to ask. If you all beat me to the *fire-up* please post how it went. I will do the same. It appears we have the same 355/427HP Dart head engine. I went with a pure MSD set-up(MSD HEI tach drive distributor, Blaster 2 & 6A box)... how about your friend?

Mark...

I finally decided enough was enough of letting this thing sit and shipped the car off to a vette mechanic to get all of the suspension/brake work done. Should have it back within a week(He said probably Sunday, but not pushing it). And went on a major spending spree Monday & Tuesday between Summit & Jegs to get in most of what I was missing in this puzzle. I still have to buy the ignition wires, spark plugs & wire looms, but I needed to come home tonight & put on the Sanderson headers on the engine to see whether 90 degree or straight boots were needed. $5.50 ea/spark plug... jesh! Gonna go do that in a few minutes.

Olivier...

No tags were on this 355 giving any specs. Given that it is not as radical as your roller motors it is understandable. And like you... a single plane Weiand Team-G on this one. Gotta finish porting/polishing it this weekend and will start pre-assembling the items that will be on the engine when it is dropped in.(I.E. - CVR starter, flexplate, Holley fuel pump, water/oil outlet sensors). I pulled the engine with the harmonic balance pulley on it, but will not put the new March pulleys on until it is in this time.

Again.... thanks for everyone who answered.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:45 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

I'm sure that Mark will answer all your questions... I don't remember if your block got zero decked.. It it was decked - you might have to consider to have the intake "cut" so that you wont have a leaking problem.. I had my mechanic change the intake when I got the engine..and the intake wasn't cut.. Because of that - I have a little oil leak at the intake gasket.. sucking oil into the engine.. It's doesn't bother me too much.. but I'm going to have the intake cut and re-sealed soon...

Olivier
Old 02-27-2003, 08:30 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Olivier...

You are correct that Mark would let me know what I am working with. Interestingly enough, I was correct that the engine came to me with the valve lash already set(99% as he put it). All engine components are already torqued and I do not have to worry about that. And so far he has given me the initial start-up procedures that they recommend of oil priming the engine and then run it at 1800 RPM's for 20 minutes. Shut it down and change the oil & filter.

He just asked for my support parts to work on the tuning. I shot him back what I have(BIGS 750CFM vacuum sec carb, Weiand Team-G single plane intake, MSD 8572 Billet Distr., MSD Blaster 2 Coil, MSD 6A, MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor wires, Champion V59C plugs & Holley 110GPH mech fuel pump). It will be interesting to see what they recommend.

Tech so far? :thumbs:

[Modified by bgrice, 1:32 AM 2/28/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To To the AR engine owners... need some help

Quick Reply: To the AR engine owners... need some help