C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new gauges: Autometer, white face, black face, digital? Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 08:47 PM
nitrocharger
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new gauges: Autometer, white face, black face, digital? Opinions?

The time has come for me to scrap the inaccurate (if they are even working) stock center gauges. I've been looking at Autometers but I don't know if I want a white face or black face. I have also found the digital ones to be kinda cool too. My interior is black and I want to keep all 5 gauges under $200. Opinions and pics welcome. thanks
~Christian
Old 02-25-2003, 09:09 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Need new gauges: Autometer, white face, black face, digital? Opinions? (nitrocharger)

I have Autometer black face in my 72. Easy to install and I think much better reliability.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:24 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Need new gauges: Autometer, white face, black face, digital? Opinions? (biltogo)

Hey nitro nice tpi setup,how about the silver faced ones from autometer,they would look good too.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:31 PM
nitrocharger
Racer

Default Re: Need new gauges: Autometer, white face, black face, digital? Opinions? (patsnitrovette)

Hey nitro nice tpi setup
ditto
Old 02-25-2003, 09:37 PM
Aaron76
Pro

Default Re: Need new gauges: Autometer, white face, black face, digital? Opinions? (nitrocharger)

I am currently installing Autometer Whiteface Phantom through out and am replacing the clock with a Trans temp.
I will post lots of pic's when I am finished.
TTFN
Old 02-26-2003, 12:26 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm let me see.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=463476 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=439063 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=339581 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=300839 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=242500 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=158299 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=219825

Its been talked about a bit before. :lol: for 77 newer you can download instructions and wiring diagrams from my website .
http://earchitect.50megs.com/corvette/gauge.htm

They are more accurate, more durable and far more attractive if you ask me. :yesnod:
Old 02-26-2003, 05:38 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Click on my C3R link below for pics.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:15 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

The time has come for me to scrap the inaccurate (if they are even working) stock center gauges. I've been looking at Autometers but I don't know if I want a white face or black face. I have also found the digital ones to be kinda cool too. My interior is black and I want to keep all 5 gauges under $200. Opinions and pics welcome. thanks
~Christian
IMHO ... digital is a styling mismatch with our C3s. Moreover, NOTHING beats a wide-sweep analog face & red hand to give quick, at-a-glance reading ... especially when the eyes begin to falter. Virtually all race cars that have room for gages use just that. White, black, silver, carbon-fiber, flames ... whatever ... it's your car. The analog autometers are an excellent choice ... but not cheap.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:43 PM
Aaron76
Pro

Default Re: Need new gauges: Autometer, white face, black face, digital? Opinions? (jackson)

~Christian

IMHO ... digital is a styling mismatch with our C3s. Moreover, NOTHING beats a wide-sweep analog face & red hand to give quick, at-a-glance reading ... especially when the eyes begin to falter. Virtually all race cars that have room for gages use just that. White, black, silver, carbon-fiber, flames ... whatever ... it's your car. The analog autometers are an excellent choice ... but not cheap.
But if it is not a real pressing issue then you can take your time and buy them off the internet (E Bay). I was able to save about 150 just by being patient it took about 5 monts to find them all at a fair price.
Just an idea.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:55 AM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used Autometer's Pro Comp 5" in dash electronic speedometer and Tach. The speedometer is programmable and goes up to 160 MPH and has a push button calibration. It requires 500 to 400,000 pulse/mile. I decided to used a electronic speedo because I didn't want to hassle with drilling a hole in the tail shaft to relocate the Vss transducer, thus leaving an opening for the gear to drive the original analog speedometer. Replacing the speedo and tach left me without signals, high beam and e- brake indicators. I move all of them to the center console. I replaced the head lamp indicator with the e-brake and the door ajar with the high beam. I installed the signal indicator on the plate above all of the gauges. I installed a security lamp ( VAT Alarm) in the same area. I replaced the seat belt indicator with the "service engine " indicator.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:27 PM
Aaron76
Pro

Default Re: Need new gauges: Autometer, white face, black face, digital? Opinions? (vettedan)

Hey Vettdan
is that your little creation ( the proprods in the rear compartments.)
I like the idea :yesnod:
Old 02-27-2003, 01:41 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Here is a link to all the guages Phoenix found available for C3's:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zero...977741#4977741

Very informative thread. Nordskog has factory digital replacement guages complete with turn signal, high beam brake etc. Looks like $500 for all 7. I'd sure like to see those in person.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:15 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Default Re: Need new gauges: Autometer, white face, black face, digital? Opinions? (74-Roadster)

Those Nordskog digitals are mine!!! As soon as my side biz starts up for the summer (landscaping/lawn maint) and that extra green starts rollin in, I'm gettin them. Only gauge package I've seen thats a drop in replacement for C3s. If you price out the Autometers, they are the same price but you hafta cobble a solution for the loss of the speedo/tach indicators.

Brett :thumbs:
Old 02-27-2003, 02:40 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Default Re: Need new gauges: Autometer, white face, black face, digital? Opinions? (Aaron76)

Hey Vettdan
Yep! I manufacture C3 harness bars, the "Shark Bars" '74 thru '82 Vettes.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:41 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

White face :yesnod: :yesnod:

Here are 2 pics of my Autometer Phantom Gauges:

:cheers:

Olivier

[Modified by GrandSportC3, 2:41 PM 2/27/2003]
Old 02-27-2003, 02:52 PM
Aaron76
Pro

Default Re: Need new gauges: Autometer, white face, black face, digital? Opinions? (vettedan)

Hey Vettdan

Yep! I manufacture C3 harness bars, the "Shark Bars" '74 thru '82 Vettes.
I'm sorry I knew that you did the shark bar but I was refuring to the simple little thing that holds the rear compartment door open ( prop rod )
here is a pic from your site.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:34 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Default Re: Need new gauges: Autometer, white face, black face, digital? Opinions? (Aaron76)

Hey Vettdan
I'm sorry I knew that you did the shark bar but I was refuring to the simple little thing that holds the rear compartment door open ( prop rod )
here is a pic from your site.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm a little slow today!!!!My snap-on screwdriver makes a very high tech prop.
Dan

[Modified by vettedan, 4:35 PM 2/27/2003]
Old 02-27-2003, 05:53 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I redid the interior/dash on my 76, I spent WAY too much time and money customizing.

Here are some photos since a lot of people weren't around while I still had the car.

10 inch sub built into the passenger compartment

Homemade fiberglass kickpanels with 5 1/4 component speakers

Nordskog center gauges

Speedo and tach (before any mileage)

The setup was easy to do with a little custom work. The faq sheet that I wrote on how to install them is on corvettefaq.com

I'm not doing it again only because I think that i want to go a different way this time. :)
Old 02-27-2003, 08:43 PM
nitrocharger
Racer

ok, I narrowed it down to either the Autometer whitefaced UltraLites or thier Carbon Fiber gauges. I can't really afford the Cobalt or Lunar gauges even though they look sooooooo cool. Whatcha guys think?
~Christian

Get notified of new replies

To Need new gauges: Autometer, white face, black face, digital? Opinions?

Quick Reply: Need new gauges: Autometer, white face, black face, digital? Opinions?