C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Legislative Alert For Californians

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 06:50 PM
Steve Grodin
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Legislative Alert For Californians

Legislation to Repeal Old Car Emissions Exemption Introduced AGAIN in California Senate

As predicted, legislation has been reintroduced in the California Senate to repeal the state's current rolling emissions test exemption for vehicles 30 years old and older. S.B. 708 repeals the current pro-hobbyist exemption and replaces it with an exemption for vehicles that are 45 or more model years old commencing January 1, 2005.

We Urge You to Contact Your State Senators Immediately to Oppose S.B. 708
Existing law in California exempts all pre-1974 vehicles from emissions testing until 2003. After 2003, vehicles 30-years old and older are exempt from emissions testing.

California's current emissions testing exemption recognizes the minimal impact of vehicles 30-years old and older on vehicle emissions and air quality.

Vehicles 30-years old and older constitute a small portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.

Antique and classic vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven (about one-third the miles each year as a new vehicle).

Legislators and regulators are feeling the heat from a failed effort to meet air quality goals and are looking for a convenient scapegoat. The old car hobby should not carry the burden of their mistakes!

Contact your state senators to oppose S.B. 708. To find out who your state senators are, contact the California Senate general information line at 916/445-4311. This information can also be accessed via the Internet at <http://www.enjoythedrive.com/legislative/contact_legislator.asp> or by calling the SEMA Washington, DC office at 202-783-6007 ext. 39. Please fax a copy of your letters to us at 202/783-6024 or mail to:

SEMA Washington Office

1317 F St., NW, Ste. 500

Washington, D.C. 20004

Attn: Steve McDonald/Brian Caudill
:mad
Old 02-25-2003, 07:50 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Default Re: Legislative Alert For Californians (Steve Grodin)

Thanks for the info- I'll be making contact!
Old 02-25-2003, 10:44 PM
Mark70
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Done! Emails sent! I also sent an email to the bills author.

[Modified by Mark70, 7:59 PM 2/25/2003]
Old 02-26-2003, 12:17 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Legislation to Repeal Old Car Emissions Exemption Introduced AGAIN in California Senate
Here we go again...They do this EVERY YEAR - even if SEMA can swing the negative votes on this one I wouldnt recommend getting rid of your emissions gear - this exemption will be overturned someday.

Personally I'm betting that the exemption never gets to my 78 :mad
Old 02-26-2003, 12:32 AM
77Dream
Drifting

Default Re: Legislative Alert For Californians (fauxrs)

Personally I'm betting that the exemption never gets to my 78 :mad
Just the other day I was thinking how close my 77 is to being exempt. If this goes through I will have to wait untill 2021!!! :mad :mad :mad
Old 02-26-2003, 12:51 AM
Steve Grodin
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Legislative Alert For Californians (77Dream)

I know how you guy's feel. The registration on my '74 came a couple of weeks ago and it didn't ask for smog. I was so happy and now this new development. When I received the alert by email today I immediatley posted it here and sent off emails to my representatives. :cuss
Old 02-26-2003, 02:39 AM
spica 7
Heel & Toe

It is a futile attempt to force the older vehicles off the road. However keep this in mind. Vehicles 30+ years will NEVER burn as clean as late model vehicles. If emissions testing occurs the legislature can only have the emissions tests for these older vehicles which meet standards for the vehicle during its time when it was a late model vehicle. Unfortunately should this proposition pass, it will be at the expense of the vehicle owners to get their vehicles to meet the standard. So to those of you who threw away your emissions control devices in the name of horsepower... get the necessary parts and keep em on standby. All vehicles come with some type of emissions control devices....some more than others unfortunately. My state of VA only has emissions testing in Northern region (where I reside) the rest of the state does not and I have not heard of anything in the legislature. If enough citizens get together the bill will not pass. If older vehicles are forced off the road it will hurt the states economy since California is the car capital of the world.

Get notified of new replies

To Legislative Alert For Californians

Quick Reply: Legislative Alert For Californians