C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had a thought... anyone reface their own gauges? Darn white lettering.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 03:52 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Had a thought... anyone reface their own gauges? Darn white lettering.

Since for now I am keeping with all vette gauges (various years because I need all electric, but all vette :) ) I was cleaning them up a bit and some of the white lettering began to rub off.

Everytime I try to make it better, it gets worse. It's like the paint is chalk.

I got them presentable, but is there a way to either repaint them, or reface them cheaply?

I was thinking of putting a transparency over each and tracing out the gauge info then making duplicates on the computer. I could then spray paint each face, print out new ones on adhesive backed paper and just overlay the new lettering and hash marks.

Anyone have experience doing this?

I was going to get all new gauges, but with everything else costing so much $$, I was planning on waiting a while.

Comments? :D:D
Old 02-25-2003, 04:43 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Had a thought... anyone reface their own gauges? Darn white lettering. (phoenix)

There are vendors who silk screen the faces of the guages. Pretty reasonable pricing too!
Old 02-25-2003, 05:43 PM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Had a thought... anyone reface their own gauges? Darn white lettering. (Stewart's74)

This vendor was posted earlier today. Prices seem resonable.

http://www.corvetteinstruments.com/
Old 02-25-2003, 06:11 PM
Armstrong
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Had a thought... anyone reface their own gauges? Darn white lettering. (phoenix)

I was wanting to do the same thing but I wanted to use the reflective paint used on the side of the highways so it would reflect the light. What do you think???
Old 02-25-2003, 06:58 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Had a thought... anyone reface their own gauges? Darn white lettering. (70BBvert)

This vendor was posted earlier today. Prices seem resonable.

http://www.corvetteinstruments.com/
Roger at Corvette Instruments was very helpful to me. Learned a few new things from him too. Give 'em a call or email. They have a lot that is not on their website.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:07 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Had a thought... anyone reface their own gauges? Darn white lettering. (Monkeywrench)

Mike ,if its not one thing its another right?I added up the guages for what i need also with the electronic speedo and tach and i think that will be put on the back burner for awhile. :yesnod:
Old 02-25-2003, 07:18 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Had a thought... anyone reface their own gauges? Darn white lettering. (patsnitrovette)

Mike ,if its not one thing its another right?I added up the guages for what i need also with the electronic speedo and tach and i think that will be put on the back burner for awhile. :yesnod:
You said it.... I'm just about to pull the motor and it seems like I am only just beginning. :(:(

Old 02-25-2003, 07:40 PM
Ken73
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran

One option (expensive) is to get an ALPS printer, that prints in *white* and print on decal paper. You could literally make your own gauges that way...

Get notified of new replies

To Had a thought... anyone reface their own gauges? Darn white lettering.

Quick Reply: Had a thought... anyone reface their own gauges? Darn white lettering.