C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update to paint fallacy

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 12:53 AM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update to paint fallacy

As per last weeks drama
Cars been at the paint shop for 2 weeks just to touch-up the nose. I am getting a hell of a deal, repaint entire nose and spoiler, chips RF, RR fenders and chips on driver's door. All for $399 which was the estimate for just the ding on the nose I got estimated 15 months ago by him. So I am endebted to the painter for hooking me up however he said one week which would have been last Monday and on that day he said Saturday (today) and of course I planned the weekend around that, buffing out the rims today with my brand new buffer, taking my girlfriend out to the clubs tonight, go on beach cruise with some of our local forum members tomorrow. Well this morning I call and the secretary says she will call me back, that was at 9:00AM. At 12:00PM I call back and she says "oh he just got back in and says the Vette will be ready Tuesday"
FUDGE! I have been looking forward to this all week and I can't bitch at him or I might lose my deal $$$$ so I'm in between a rock and a hard place because he knows I know he's giving me a great deal and at his mercy. I will tell him when I pick the car up Tuesday HE set the date not me and planned my whole weekend around that and now it's all screwed up.
God I hate this sh$%! so darn pissed! Sorry but had to get this off my chest.
David
Well called the painter today and he never called back. So got off work and wnet down to the shop to confront him. Painter wasn't there but the Vette was in the booth, the nose was done save final buffing and looked flawless. The chips were all gone and buffing complete. The whole rear clip was repainted!!!! All I had was a few small specks on top of the right rear fender where the painter's sweat leaked out of his mask and left marks in the clearcoat. He said he would just have to colorsand it out but when he arrived he stated he had a hard time matching and redid the whole damn thing! Looks great and I had noticed small insignificant scratches and swirls but didn't mind now that's gone :cool: now all that needs is buffing the paint and should be done tommorow however now they expect a three day storm!! :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad

Can you say next week! Damn I was so happy when I left the painter but as soon as I got home I saw the local news and almost threw my remote through the TV. DAMN! DAMN! DAMN!
Old 02-25-2003, 02:04 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Update to paint fallacy (Cali,77,L-82)

Paientience obewon.....Just think of how nice that baby is going to look now with a new coat of color on it..... :cool:

It took over 2 months to get mine out of the shop....But like you I was chomping at the bit.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:49 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Just chill. It'll be back under your butt in no time and it's gonna be sweet! You gotta get us some pics too! BTW-would it be too painful to ask what the whole paint job set you back?

:thumbs:
Old 02-25-2003, 08:57 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

So you got the whole car painted for 400 bucks?? Wow the are gonna lose money on the paint alone...Uless it is glidden :lol: Hope it looks great
Old 02-25-2003, 10:37 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey 2 weeks was how long my painter had the car to repair the nose and paint the new spoiler. so that sounds standard to me. although it took 3 weeks to get the sidepipe covers back.

Still gotta get around to putting those on - not until the tranny though. BTW, Im going to start that in March and its gonna take me awhile I bet. Weekends only......in an unlit 1 car garage.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:17 AM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Update to paint fallacy (fauxrs)

The original paint job was $3K, then been back 3 times, total I think about 4K. Remember when i took it back the second time it was due to flaws in the original paint job and they repainted 90% of the car. It's not the painter i'm mad at it's the DAMN weather thats killing me. Remember we are in Southern California. Rain is few and far between.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:18 AM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Oh BTW DESERTDAAG there was a 81 in there with the left front side completely caved in. The rest of the car was immaculate. I hate seeing that stuff makes me :sad:
Old 02-25-2003, 11:23 AM
B
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

try to relax. you can pass the time by counting the money you saved. that sounds like a sweet deal. beside, you've got all summer to enjoy the new paint. :auto:
Old 02-25-2003, 12:29 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The original paint job was $3K, then been back 3 times, total I think about 4K.
----------

I want HIS PHONE NUMBER!! :chevy
Old 02-25-2003, 09:23 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Update to paint fallacy (SanDiegoPaul)

Paul you have IM.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:42 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Oh BTW DESERTDAAG there was a 81 in there with the left front side completely caved in. The rest of the car was immaculate. I hate seeing that stuff makes me :sad:
I still have nightmares about mine. :mad

[Modified by Desertdawg, 12:50 AM 2/26/2003]
Old 02-26-2003, 05:12 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Hanging there, you'll be back on the streets in no time! Mine should be done by 20th of March.... :steering:

Get notified of new replies

To Update to paint fallacy

Quick Reply: Update to paint fallacy