C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! My rear end is sticking way up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 11:25 PM
Runner81
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! My rear end is sticking way up!!!

On my Vette, that is…

Did some Vette Brakes & Products suspension mods – 460lb. GT coils, 330lb. Monospring and kit, Bilstein shocks, etc. Good news, bad news: Handling improved noticeably, but my body came through WAY elevated - like 1.5”+ higher than stock on all 4 wheels. I finally got the front springs cut (half a coil), and that end came back down to stock height. The problem I least expected was the rear. There’s not enough room in the spring bolts to lower it very much, particularly on the passenger side. So it’s still sitting 29.75” on the passenger side (with .5” of exposed spring bolt), and 29.50” on the driver’s side (more spring bolt room, but don’t want car too uneven). The monospring mounting kit came with 8” spring bolts, but VB&P’s catalog only lists 10” spring bolts for later model Vettes. I left a phone message with VB&P, but haven’t heard back yet. Anyone encounter similar problems and know a solution? Any ideas are much appreciated.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:12 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: Help!! My rear end is sticking way up!!! (Runner81)

Jeez... the 8" leave you up that high? I'd hate to imagine what the 6" bolts currently on my car are good for... (at least, that's what I think they are...)

Anyways, I think the 10" ones they offer in the mag will do fine, but you can always just go to a bolt store and get some grade 8 bolts + nylock nuts. Clutchdust knows what to get, I believe.

-Steve
Old 02-25-2003, 11:43 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Help!! My rear end is sticking way up!!! (Pacin'California)

I have the same problem. I attribute the height problem to the fact that I ditched the spare.
As for the bolts, you wont find them @ Home Creepo or Lowes. You have to find an industrial fastener place. I found one in the local phone book. Bolts were far less expensive than VB&P and I didnt have to wait. (I like instant gratification :jester )
Old 02-25-2003, 01:37 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Help!! My rear end is sticking way up!!! (Stewart's74)

Lower your air shocks :p: Just kidding the above sounds like good advice

Get notified of new replies

To Help!! My rear end is sticking way up!!!

Quick Reply: Help!! My rear end is sticking way up!!!