C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I found a bad lifter when I was changing the Intake manifold.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 06:23 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default I found a bad lifter when I was changing the Intake manifold.

The last time I changed the oil I found what looked like a piece of a small clip. I thought it looked like the clip that holds the top of a lifter in. Sure enough when I pulled the intake and took a look I found a lifter with a missing clip. I removed it and installed a clip from an older lifter that I had and all seems well so far. Has anyone had this problem and what could have caused it. I never had any tapping in the engine and it ran well. :confused:
Old 02-25-2003, 04:37 AM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I found a bad lifter when I was changing the Intake manifold. (vettfixr)

Did you test the plunger to see if it still floated? Maybe it was frozen or became twisted. If not, then I would say you were lucky. Sustained high rpm’s could have resulted in one of those ‘expensive mistakes cause by failure of a 1-cent part’.

I replaced the wire clips with internal snap rings when I installed new lifters. They are not subject to significant load, but assembly is much more repeatable and reliable.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:28 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Default Re: I found a bad lifter when I was changing the Intake manifold. (Turbo-Jet)

Did you test the plunger to see if it still floated.
i took the lifter apart and clreaned everything up although it wasn't very dirty. Once I reassembled it everything moved fine and it looked like it was OK. i guess I'll find out when I start it up. I agree with the snap clips. If I ever change out the cam I'll do that on the new lifters. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:36 AM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: I found a bad lifter when I was changing the Intake manifold. (vettfixr)

That can happen when there isn't enough preload on the lifter and the plunger hammers the clip out :cheers:
Old 02-25-2003, 12:35 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Default Re: I found a bad lifter when I was changing the Intake manifold. (yellow 72)

That can happen when there isn't enough preload on the lifter and the plunger hammers the clip out :cheers:
That's what I thought. After I fixed the lifter I went through all the valves and reset them to between 1/2 and 3/4 turn from zero clearance. I'm hoping I won't have to visit this problem again.

Get notified of new replies

To I found a bad lifter when I was changing the Intake manifold.

Quick Reply: I found a bad lifter when I was changing the Intake manifold.