C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailing arm shim ????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 05:50 PM
my74ls4
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Trailing arm shim ????????????????

After two years I almost have a rolling frame. The trans should be in this week along with the ZZ502. Everything has been rebuilt or replaced. My question is concerning the trailing arm shims. I took 8 out of each side but I cannot get 8 back in there without some excessive force (hammer). I will have to get a total realignment of the front and back. Do all 8 go in each side?? If so should I let the shop do it as I don't want to mess them up. Thanks for any help!!
Old 02-24-2003, 06:11 PM
LATNC3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Trailing arm shim ???????????????? (my74ls4)

I hade the dame problem when i did my rearend. the number of shims i took out, were not the same i put back in!!! the trailing arm bushing that i bought from vettebrakes came with their own. i just put enough in to snug up the rear and then drove to a shop....a close shop!! Use STAINLESS.

Rod :yesnod: :_dupe:
Old 02-24-2003, 06:34 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just fill in the gap on each side for now so you can snug up the through bolt. Let the alignment shop do the rest. The proper way is to put the correct thickness of shims in one side then pack the other side full. The new bushings might be a little thicker then the old one and hopefully you are using new stainless shims.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:47 PM
my74ls4
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I did use the stainless shims. Glad to here I don't have to put them all back in. I went with poly bushings and I guess they are thicker. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:44 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Trailing arm shim ???????????????? (LATNC3)

I hade the dame problem when i did my rearend. the number of shims i took out, were not the same i put back in!!! the trailing arm bushing that i bought from vettebrakes came with their own. i just put enough in to snug up the rear and then drove to a shop....a close shop!! Use STAINLESS.
Ditto: :iagree:

Get notified of new replies

To Trailing arm shim ????????????????

Quick Reply: Trailing arm shim ????????????????