C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else had problems with a replacement rad. core support???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 05:24 PM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Anyone else had problems with a replacement rad. core support???

I ordered a new core support exactly a month ago, and recently received it (but that is another story that I could title POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE or Lying to the customer 101).
I got the old support out, had the old radiator recored, went to put it all back together and the rad did not fit properly in the support!!!! To say I was pizzed would be an understatement. I figured they recored the rad with a core 1/8-1/4 inch too wide across, as this is as far off the tanks are from fitting into the mounting cradles on the new support, both top and bottom.

I brought the rad and support to the rad. shop before work today, convinced they screwed up the recore size. They still had the old core, and it is IDENTICAL in size with the replacement core-----so the support was the problem!!!
The rad. shop offered to keep the support and rad and mount them for me (no charge).

Has anyone else had issues with replacement supports??? I was told by the
gentleman ( :bs ) who I got the support from that they use GM's tooling :bs , so it should be an easy swap!!!
Old 02-24-2003, 05:35 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Anyone else had problems with a replacement rad. core support??? (shoptek)

Bummer... I have had some replacement part fit problems from time to time. I had a real bad problem with a rear spring one time.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:19 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Anyone else had problems with a replacement rad. core support??? (shoptek)

I think I bought my radiator support reproduction for about 250 bux at the last Cypress gardens location show....about 4-5 years ago...at that time, I noticed the metal was considerable thinner than original...I dusted out the rust and junk from the original and hefted them in each hand...the new one was considerably lighter even with the rust shaken loose from the original...

it did not fit right either...I had to massage a whole bunch of stuff to make it work...for one thing the upper bracket on the fan shroud didn't line up...so I drilled two new holes and put in self tappers, having done with it....

I also drilled water drain holes in the bottom of the thing so water can get out of the hollow structure, there are plenty of holes up top for water to eventually work it's way in...both original and replacement...so I picked several places for water to drain out the bottom, and drilled 3/8 holes...
can't be seen .....come think of it, when replacing the first cross piece---the boomerang shaped one...the rad support sit on....I drilled drain holes in it too,...so as letting water escape to the lo spot....

GENE
Old 02-24-2003, 06:22 PM
no_radio
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anyone else had problems with a replacement rad. core support??? (mrvette)

It's been a couple years, but I remember for sure that it was missing the weldnuts where the retainer bracket bolts on. I used nuts on the backside, but it was a real pain to reach with a wrench. I called and gave them an earful, but they were unsympathetic. Other than that I don't recall any problems.
Jeff
Old 02-24-2003, 06:22 PM
Ken73
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran

I welded a whole new lower 6" worth for Aaron's car.. his entire bottom 6" of his support were totally rusted out - gone! I used good thick bar steel and welded him one that won't be going anywhere anytime soon!
Old 02-25-2003, 12:07 AM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A quick update....

The support is in, but not secured down yet. I put it in as an assembly of the shroud,rad,support.
The mounting holes on the side are a bit off, but I don't know if it is because i don't have it fully bolted down to the crossmember.

I try to do 100% of my own work, and I aint rich but I WILL NEVER do this again!!! I'll pay my vette mechanic the 3 or 4 hours he originally wanted to do the job :rant:
Old 02-25-2003, 05:24 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just removing the radiator is a major job on the early A/C equipped C3's. BB's are even worse because they are longer so you have even less clearance.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone else had problems with a replacement rad. core support???

Quick Reply: Anyone else had problems with a replacement rad. core support???