C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter startups.. Do or Don't?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 03:55 PM
Koz

Default Winter startups.. Do or Don't?

My vette has been put away for the winter but every couple to three weeks I like to start her up and let her warm up in the garage.. As long as I let her come up to temp and I doing any harm.. any good? Thoughts?
Old 02-24-2003, 04:02 PM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Winter startups.. Do or Don't? (Koz)

Don't know if it's right or wrong Koz but I start my '69 every 4-5 weeks during the winter and run her for about 20 minutes.
Put her in gear and go back and forth a few feet a few times.I also turn on the A/C.My garage is heated if that means anything besides battery staying pretty charged.
Old 02-24-2003, 04:07 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

I try to only start my car if I'm going to drive long enough to get it up to operating temperature and boil off any moisture that has collected in the crankcase. I've heard that if you don't run it long enough your oil will really become contaminated. :cheers:
Old 02-24-2003, 04:09 PM
Mikeb690
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do it about every 2 weeks, I let her warm up take it down the driveway and then back in. Personally I thinks its good idea.
Old 02-24-2003, 04:14 PM
Koz

Default Re: Winter startups.. Do or Don't? (69er)

I have my car on a QuickLift so I don't move it around. I think it's a good idea but I just don't do it. This weekend I tried the A/C which I just converted to R-14 this past year and the A/C didn't kick in. Guess there's a leak someplace. :rolleyes:
Old 02-24-2003, 05:29 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

i run it for around 20mins atleast once a week
Old 02-24-2003, 05:38 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

If the roads are clear then drive it a few miles. I used to start the cars every weekend for 20-30 minutes. It takes at least 20 minutes to blow out the condensation in the oil and exhaust. Starting for a short time does more harm then good.
Also the brake fluid will build up condensation and turn the fluid to mud over time. SS calipers can still lock up the pistons if the fluid gets bad enough,so bleed the system in the Spring. I never had a problem with the brakes,oil, general running doing this. Plus with the Kwik-lift you can clean up under it after a nice ride.
Gary
Old 02-24-2003, 05:39 PM
radwebster
Pro

it's suggested (not by me, but by the 20 or so articles i read) that you drive for about 20 minutes if you are to start the car up. otherwise, it is best to just let the car sit with a battery keeper on it, and to just drive it about once a month or every other month. just starting it and shutting it down right when it reaches operating temp is not a good idea, as the condesation will eat away at the exhaust. and taking it for a drive circulates the fluids, runs through the gears, etc. also, every month you should, while on your drive, operate everything for a little while. not at the same time, but i mean like turn on the a/c, then play with the radio, heat, then power mirrors, lights, etc. this keeps all the seals lubricated (for a/c), all the motors operational, and lets you know that everything is still functioning. plus, you get to drive your Vette again! :cheers:
Old 02-25-2003, 08:17 AM
Koz

Default Re: Winter startups.. Do or Don't? (radwebster)

also, every month you should, while on your drive, operate everything for a little while. not at the same time, but i mean like turn on the a/c, then play with the radio, heat, then power mirrors, lights, etc. this keeps all the seals lubricated (for a/c), all the motors operational, and lets you know that everything is still functioning. plus, you get to drive your Vette again! :cheers:
Also a good way to find something else that needs to be fixed! :cry :cheers:
Old 02-25-2003, 08:37 AM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If the engine was not fogged you should fire it up on occasion to lubricate the top end of the engine and to eliminate and oxidation buildup on open valves/cylider bores. The condensation that builds up over the heating and cooling cycles of the engine can be damaging. If you are not going to light the engine that its really important to spray a bunch of fogging oil down the carb while the engine is running. I fired mine up about three weeks ago just to hear it and get a little spring fever !

Old 02-25-2003, 10:06 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,486 Likes on 771 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

About every 3-4 weeks I fire it up and if it's dry I drive it around the number 5-6 miles. I have been told it's better for all the seals and internals to keep every thing moist and lubricated. there must be something to it. If I leave it sit a long time the car "weeps" a bit here and there. When drive regularly not a drop. :auto:
Old 02-25-2003, 01:40 PM
Missileman
Instructor

GM's Service Bulletins give a "21" rule: every 21 days, run the engine 21 minutes, drive it 21 feet forward, and 21 feet in reverse. You won't have problems with seals or condensation, however if you don't add a stabilizer to the gasoline, it turns into crap after about four months.

Get notified of new replies

To Winter startups.. Do or Don't?

Quick Reply: Winter startups.. Do or Don't?