C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Improved my performance for 0 $

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 02:19 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Improved my performance for 0 $

I had my q jet apart the other day for some work and noticed that the secondary flap on the top of the carb wasn't opening very easily. As a matter of fact it was sticking pretty bad and took a good push to make it open. I cleaned out the top really good and ended up with a nice free & smooth operation. When I put it back together and gave it a test run I noticed the difference right away. My secondaries where kicking in almost instantly as opposed to before. I was wondering why I was getting sluggish performance until it hit about 3000 rpm. . This is one of those things that creep in slowly and you don't realize it until its fixed ; what a difference it could make. Lesson learned. Do all the basic & simple things first before spending $$.
Old 02-24-2003, 04:39 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Improved my performance for 0 $ (dogboy)

Mine did the same thing once where the air valves would basically wedge. Seemed to happen all of the sudden, was out driving it one day and it felt like I was just running on the front two barrels, sure enough I was. I loosened the screws on the air valves and readjusted and worked fine after that.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 02-24-2003, 06:41 PM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Improved my performance for 0 $ (dogboy)

Is there a way to make sure they open properly without removing the carb?
Old 02-24-2003, 10:23 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Improved my performance for 0 $ (virtue4u)

:cheers:
Old 02-24-2003, 10:35 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Improved my performance for 0 $ (QuickVet)

all you have to do is push the air valve with a finger and you will know if it is sticking, also easy to adjust with allen head set screw to desired ease of opening. :cheers:
Old 02-25-2003, 02:00 PM
Tominator
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Improved my performance for 0 $ (virtue4u)

virtue4u; pull your air cleaner off and wipe any dirt off the outside of the carb and linkage, be careful that you don't knock any dirt into the carb. Get some type of silicone spray and spray down the linkage good and wipe down.

Also manually open the seconday and look around for any types of build ups and wipe it out too. I wouldn't recommend carb. cleaner spray some say it can eat gaskets on the inside of the carb.

Get notified of new replies

To Improved my performance for 0 $

Quick Reply: Improved my performance for 0 $