C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, I took the plung and ordered my Carb

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 06:49 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default OK, I took the plung and ordered my Carb

I changed out the manifold yesterday to the new Performance Products polished manifold and when I removed the Q-Jet the inside of the manifold was soaked with gas. That finally helped me make up my mind to get a new carb. I've read all the carb posts and know that a lot of people like the Holley/Demon carbs but I've also read a lot about leaks on them. I also didn't want to go with a new Q-jet because in my experience they're just too finicky. I've read all of Lar's papers and realized I just don't want to get into a carb that much. I ended up ordering the new Edelbrock Thunder 650 CFM with electric choke. I like the idea of no gaskets below the fuel line and also the idea of being able to change things without having to open the carb up. The adjustable secondary valve will also be a plus. So, here's what I ordered.

Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS Carb
Edelbrock Heat Insulator Gasket
Edelbrock Fuel Line(the one that uses the banjo fitting and goes under the carb.)
Edelbrock In-Line Fuel Filter
Summit Adjustable Throttle Cable Bracket
Spectra 3/8 inch Stainless hose
Spectre 3/8 inchMagna-Clamps

Have I left anything out? The only thing I'm not sure of is whether the carb will clear the rear manifold fitting that feeds the headlamps and heater controls. I'm also not sure where the fitting for the power brake booster will go. I couldn't see a good picture of the rear of the Edelbrock so I don't know whether the tube will attach to the rear like it does with the Q-jet. Any help in these two areas will be appreciated. Wish me luck. :seeya
Old 02-23-2003, 06:58 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: OK, I took the plung and ordered my Carb (vettfixr)

I'd drop by the local auto parts and get about 3' of each of the vacuum line hoses including the power brake line (3/8"?). Invariably some are too short, or dried out.

Also since you had the Q-Jet don't be surprised if some creative enginering is needed for the air cleaner and breather lines that connect to it.
Good luck and let us know how this new carb performs.

[Modified by bigvette1, 5:59 PM 2/23/2003]
Old 02-23-2003, 07:04 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: OK, I took the plung and ordered my Carb (bigvette1)

Thanks bigvette1. I think I'll be OK with the hoses. The PCV and vacuum line to the carb are about in the same place as the Q-Jet so I don't think they'll be a problem. I'm still not sure how I'm going to connect the EVAP hose from the cannister. I may be able to put it on a T with the PCV but I'll get it running first without this connection and then add the evap hose later after I have things dialed in.

Get notified of new replies

To OK, I took the plung and ordered my Carb

Quick Reply: OK, I took the plung and ordered my Carb