C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flaming River Steering Boxes

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 06:25 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flaming River Steering Boxes

I have seen Flaming River's ad in Corvette Magazine. They had a steering box with a 12:1 ratio. What is the ratio of the stock 69 box?? I like the manual steering on the road. It is starting to get annoying in the parking lots, especially since I have a smaller wheel. Will the 12:1 box help?

flamingriver.com

[Modified by 69stingray, 6:26 PM 2/23/2003]
Old 02-23-2003, 06:31 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Flaming River Steering Boxes (69stingray)

The production steering gear has a 16:1 ratio. A change to 12:1 is a big change in ratio. You better have power steering.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:57 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Flaming River Steering Boxes (Jim Shea)

So the 12:1 gearbox is for power steering? Is there a way to improve the low speed effort of manual steering?
Old 02-24-2003, 08:07 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get easier steering by increasing camber or decreasing caster. However, both of them will make you car handle much worse while driving. A little change within the factory specs would be OK. Narrower tires help, as does more air in them, again opposite of good handling practices. Wheels with greater offset than stock increase steering effort, too. Make sure the tie rod ends are in the end holes in the spindles, as they should be for "armstrong" steering, not in the closer power steering holes. Lastly, you can add power steering but it will cost you. Joe

[Modified by joe73vette, 8:08 PM 2/24/2003]
Old 02-24-2003, 11:20 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Hi, I just bought one and feel the 12:1 gives a quicker feedback, response and precision combined with the elimination of the rag joint replacing it with a borgeson joint. I know there is a slight difference in the power steering and manual steering arms, I believe either the length of the arms are slightly different or the curvature of the stock pieces. I believe one helps give an assist for the manual steering option. To quicken the steering without power steering prior to my buying the flaming river unit, I ran a power steering box and arm without the power steering. I have had some experts argue that there is not a difference in the arms or the steering boxes, I know GM did issue different part numbers. The Flaming River unit is meant for manual steering but they told me it could be used with the power steering. I like the 12:1 because when the adrenline is pumping, you really don't notice the extra effort unless you are in a long race. Also in an autocross if one run is kicking the butt, then it is probably time to hit the weights at the gym. I will never like to go fast with power steering. I would reconsider power steering if I changed over to a full trans-am SWEET MFG. unit like the pro's run. And like one other guy said, the alignment is super important. I run a 225/50-16 on the front on our one car the 1964 and 275/35-17 on the front of the 1968. One other way to get more leverage is to stick with a larger steering wheel. take care! :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Flaming River Steering Boxes

Quick Reply: Flaming River Steering Boxes