C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sick of this weather. Ready to move to a warmer part of the country - suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 06:08 PM
914eener
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sick of this weather. Ready to move to a warmer part of the country - suggestions

I'm so sick of the winter weather we're having in West Virginia I could scream. :rant: It has done nothing but snow or rain for the last two months and I don't remember what the sun looks like since I haven't seen it in so long. My garage, which has only gotten water in it once in the 30 years since the house was built, has about an inch of standing water in half of it. Thank goodness it's not the half with all of the car parts in the floor. I wanted to finish putting on my Van Steel training arm on the passenger side this weekend but would have had to sit in water to do it. :mad

I just watched the weather channel and they are calling for snow and rain for the next seven days. I'm ready to leave this god forsaken state and not worry about the door hitting me on the a** on the way out.

Anyone got any suggestions for relocation where the sun shines most of the year and they have an active Vette club? With what I do for a profession, Human Resources, I can do anywhere.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:18 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Sick of this weather. Ready to move to a warmer part of the country - suggestions (914eener)

I thought West Virginia was a "warmer" state. I would say out West. The air is drier then down south.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:28 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: Sick of this weather. Ready to move to a warmer part of the country - suggestions (69stingray)

When I was younger I joined the Army to get out of the cold Connecticut weather.Don't you know it hadn't snowed in Killeen,Tx. in ten years,but when I was stationed there it did! :mad :mad
Old 02-23-2003, 06:29 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Sick of this weather. Ready to move to a warmer part of the country - suggestions (69stingray)

i know where your coming from its either rain or snow in jersey also. :mad
Old 02-23-2003, 06:29 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Sick of this weather. Ready to move to a warmer part of the country - suggestions (914eener)

Get a winter hobby. Today it is about 12-15 degrees out and about 2 feet of fresh snow. I spent 4 hours outside riding through the snow on my horse strider and now I am considering getting the snowmobile out and going for a run in the moonlight.
Winter is a relaxing time. No yard work, no bugs , no lawns to mow, no watering. I wouldn't trade our seasons for continued warm, sunny weather.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:52 PM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: Sick of this weather

this pic is my yard a couple of weeks ago...
i raked leaves today and went for a boat ride yesterday :D
the downfall...?
summer here is hot as :reddevil

[Modified by SIGNGUY, 6:53 PM 2/23/2003]
Old 02-23-2003, 06:55 PM
RMVette
Race Director

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

I can relate. Today was the first nice day that I could get the Vette since the first of the year. I'm ready for warm weather! :steering:
Old 02-23-2003, 07:13 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Re: Sick of this weather. Ready to move to a warmer part of the country - suggestions (RMVette)

SignGuy: Nice tree! :)
Old 02-23-2003, 07:44 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Default Sick of this weather. suggestions

914eener,

I know what you mean. I moved from Massachusetts with my parents in '87 to San Diego. A good move but NOT good enough until my wife and I relocated to Gilbert, AZ- just outside Phoenix last summer (2002). This has been the WARMEST winter I have ever seen. I was just sitting out by the pool yesterday at 75+ degrees or so. Awesome. I got sick of San Diego because of marine cloud layer that seems to be there more than in the desert. I have been in the desert since last June and do not regret it at all.

It does get hot here but that was one of the main reasons for moving. I like the heat. The others were: Larger home with pool for less $$$, OUT of the People's demokratic republik of kalifornia, and MORE sunshine.

You should check out Phoenix, AZ.

Bob :cheers:

[Modified by Bob Turner, 5:45 PM 2/23/2003]
Old 02-23-2003, 07:51 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Sick of this weather (SIGNGUY)

Today was a short sleve and jeans day. I'd say shorts but we had a cold front so it's a bit nippy (60-70s) :D

It's was absolutley beautiful! Of course as Sign guy says the summers are a different story.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:57 PM
Marc80
Racer

Come on down to Florida. Asside from an occasional rain we drive all year round. Also the economy is booming, especially in construction trade.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:09 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Try Arizona, its where I want to go when I retire. I have been there about 5 times and love it. There are many car clubs there. we always go to Scotsdale because I have in-laws there and on saturday nights there is a big car gathering at MCdonald's.
We are in New Paltz, NY and also have a ton of snow with more coming tomorrow and another big storm being watched for thursday into Friday. :cuss
Old 02-23-2003, 10:12 PM
Touringpro
Racer

Well, it was about 70F around here today. Of course the summers make the surface of the sun seem cold . . . last year we had 22 days of over 105 degrees. :reddevil :reddevil :reddevil
Old 02-23-2003, 11:24 PM
Mr. Wonderful
Le Mans Master

Location: Slower than a speeding bullet................ Fort Lauderdale, FL
Received 201 Likes on 125 Posts

Don't come to Florida... we already have too many people here. :lol:
Old 02-23-2003, 11:33 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

N. Dallas, TX. Cost of living is low compared to other places around the US with the relative same amenities. I was out driving my '69 with the top down just a week ago. Since then its been cold and wet, but really... I drive my cars year-round here.

It is hot during the summer... at least for people not used to it, but I will bear the heat. My blood is admittedly too thin to live in a climate where it snows for 4 months out of the year. My kids are 8 and 5. They have seen ONE really decent snow in their lives (4-5" at once ... happened last year). Of course within 2 days it was 45^ and the snow was all melted. You get to enjoy it, and then its gone.

No salt, etc to kill your cars, either. :D
Old 02-23-2003, 11:39 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Your best thoughts would be to move to Bermuda. I hear they have a company incorporated there for every 5 actual people living in Bermuda. They have got to need some Human Resources with all those corporations down there.

Just some nightly humor. We all know those are just P.O. boxes.

Truthfully... if you are looking to get away from winter with good job prospects and want a nice climate you are screwed. :D
Old 02-24-2003, 12:05 AM
tersian
Pro

Default Re: Sick of this weather. Ready to move to a warmer part of the country - suggestions (bgrice)

Don't come to Pennsylvania, our weather sucks 9 months out of the year and you can't do anything for 4-5 of those. Why I bought a house here is still a mystery to me. I swear I'm moving to Tucson and joing the border patrol. Florida has too many people and is just as dreadfully humid as PA in the summer, Tucson is real hot, but dry hot!

Wherever you go, take me with you.

Get notified of new replies

To Sick of this weather. Ready to move to a warmer part of the country - suggestions

Old 02-24-2003, 12:52 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Sick of this weather. Ready to move to a warmer part of the country - suggestions (Touringpro)

Well, it was about 70F around here today. Of course the summers make the surface of the sun seem cold . . . last year we had 22 days of over 105 degrees. :reddevil :reddevil :reddevil
We cool off to 105 at night here.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

This was just outside of town a few weeks ago.

And I was wearing shorts that day.....

Arizona, :cool:
Old 02-24-2003, 03:16 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Sick of this weather. Ready to move to a warmer part of the country - suggestions (tersian)

I agree with you totally about PA. just north of Md....I from Md. and say to anyone, make the move when young...do NOT wait your life out in 3/4 misery with crappy weather....not worth it....

IF you are within say 50 miles of the ocean/gulf you will have no problems with Florida heat in the summer, as there is a breeze about 95% of the time...constant and steady...not that hot steamy still air of up north....

GENE
Old 02-24-2003, 04:21 AM
Yeller81
Instructor

Default Re: Sick of this weather. Ready to move to a warmer part of the country - suggestions (mrvette)

Well I am going the other way. Moving from Tucson, Arizona to West Virginia..
Just retired and will be leaving here in May . Hope all the snow is gone .
Stay away from Az. the taxes are going to go out of sight . We need to balance the State Budget and you know who is going to get to do that.
I do believe it is a bit cheaper to live in WV and there are some nice Curvy roads there.
Az is not the place to be in a C3 when it is a 115 degrees out let me tell you. The AC can not keep up at least mine can't. Nothing like blasting up I 10 in the simmer
summer.
:steering:

Quick Reply: Sick of this weather. Ready to move to a warmer part of the country - suggestions