C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

76 owners. Good news for aftermarket steering wheel replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 05:19 PM
TJRed76
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 76 owners. Good news for aftermarket steering wheel replacement.

I just got my new Mid America catalogue. They have a very cool, modern looking steering wheel that they say will fit the 76.

At the bottom of the ad, it says *will not fit 76 w/0 tilt, tele*

So far as I can tell from that, it should fit my 76. I think I'm going to try it.

Only setback, is that it only comes in black w/red highlight. Works well for my red car.

If anyone has already tried this wheel, please let me know.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:22 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: 76 owners. Good news for aftermarket steering wheel replacement. (TJRed76)

The 1976 T&T steering column was identical to the 1969 through 1975 T&T columns. The difference was in the steering wheel, the attaching hardware, and the telescoping parts (one year only). The basic difference was that for that one year (1976) the steering wheel and hub was one part.

If you had all the attaching hardware and a 1969 through 1975 steering wheel or if you have the later attaching hardware and a 1977 through 1982 steering wheel they all will fit the 1976 column.

For that matter, the later leather wrapped wheel and attaching hardware will fit any of the 1969 through 1975 T&T columns. One thing you have to be aware of. The later model column didn't telescope as far as the earlier column. (The later columns had the dimmer switch bulge on the left side of the housing.) So the later T&T column had a shallower extension (I used to call it the "can") that extended forward to cover the gap between the bottom of the steering wheel and the steering column. You must use the shallow extension with the more modern leather wrapped wheel. So when you telescope the older column all the way toward the driver, you will see a slight gap between the end of the extension and the column. (Hardly anyone wants their column telescoped all the way rearward anyway.)

The 1976 standard steering column also had a unique steering wheel with an integral hub which differed from the earlier 1969 through 1975 columns. That wheel and hub carried through from 1976 through 1979 when T&T became standard on all Corvettes from then on.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:01 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 76 owners. Good news for aftermarket steering wheel replacement. (Jim Shea)

If you had all the attaching hardware and a 1969 through 1975 steering wheel or if you have the later attaching hardware and a 1977 through 1982 steering wheel they all will fit the 1976 column.

Whopppeee! now thats good news :party: :party:
Old 02-23-2003, 08:03 PM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 76 owners. Good news for aftermarket steering wheel replacement. (Jim Shea)

The 1976 standard steering column also had a unique steering wheel with an integral hub which differed from the earlier 1969 through 1975 columns. That wheel and hub carried through from 1976 through 1979 when T&T became standard on all Corvettes from then on.
Jim:

Are you saying that any aftermarket wheel that fits a standard '78 - '79 steering column will fit a '76 with a standard steering column?
Old 02-23-2003, 11:36 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: 76 owners. Good news for aftermarket steering wheel replacement. (glen242)

The same steering wheel with the integral hub was used on the 1976 standard (non-adjustable) column and then carried over on the dimmer standard columns in 1977, 78 and 79. I would expect that an aftermarket steering wheel would fit the same set of steering columns.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:40 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: 76 owners. Good news for aftermarket steering wheel replacement. (glen242)

Mine has delux interior and the Tilt/Tel column

-----------

Are you saying that any aftermarket wheel that fits a standard '78 - '79 steering column will fit a '76 with a standard steering column?

-----------
Old 02-24-2003, 12:26 PM
SlightlyWicked76
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: 76 owners. Good news for aftermarket steering wheel replacement. (TJRed76)

Dear: TJRed76
I have tried this package from ecklers and the problem that I ran into was the steering wheel hub was not large enough to fit over the Tilt/Telescopic "Can" I tried the attachment kit and it still didn't work. After a couple weeks of the car being down and steering wheel out of it trying to figure it out I gave up and put a steering wheel cover on the steering wheel. If you have better luck please let me know what you did. Thanks :steering:

Get notified of new replies

To 76 owners. Good news for aftermarket steering wheel replacement.

Quick Reply: 76 owners. Good news for aftermarket steering wheel replacement.