C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel pump noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 08:24 AM
vettedreams
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fuel pump noise?

After stethoscope analysis, the fuel pump seems to be making a ticking noise. Is this the pump or the rod doing this, in other words do I need to replace the pump or something else, of course I"ve already taken the pump off.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:51 AM
goinbroke
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: fuel pump noise? (vettedreams)

I just went through the same thing. The noise is probably coming from the pump. While holding the pump in your hand, put your thumb on the arm and try to move it. If you can get any movement at all this way then thats probably what you're hearing, caused by a weak return spring. I had about 1/8" of "weak spring travel" before it met resistence. Compare a new pump with the old one by pressing on the arm and see if you notice any difference. If you already have the old pushrod out, it probably wouldn't hurt to replace it but I really doubt thats the problem. just my opinion
Old 02-23-2003, 10:56 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Default Re: fuel pump noise? (goinbroke)

My original pump was making a noise very similar to a lifter. The arm was all beat up... It actually had a step worn in it which accounts for the fact that my noise was intermittant.

[Modified by silvervetteman, 10:57 AM 2/23/2003]
Old 02-23-2003, 03:51 PM
Hershey
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine did that and when I removed it , Out fel two halves of the spring into my hand. Much quiter after replacement. Hershey :chevy

[Modified by Hershey, 3:52 PM 2/23/2003]
Old 02-23-2003, 04:12 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Default Re: fuel pump noise? (Hershey)

Mine did the same thing until I turned up my sterio. :jester
Old 02-23-2003, 04:18 PM
Tom77
Instructor

I to have this problem. The pump ticks after it warms up. I thought it was a lifter, but it comes from the pump. I have to replace mine in the spring. This was suppose to be a new pump but, when I put it in the arm did not have a lot of resistance to it. :mad
Old 02-23-2003, 05:42 PM
goinbroke
Burning Brakes

Default Re: fuel pump noise? (Tom77)

To follow up on my earlier response....and again just my opinion. I think many of us could hear fuel pump clicks if we listened very closely. When the arm is pushed in by the pushrod then back out by the spring tension there is a good possibility that a click could be heard when the arm hits it's max travel out. Before installation, I did some very precice measuring of the distance from the mounting face and the outer most distance of the arm on the new and old pumps. I found the old pump to be about to be about .060" shorter in length. This could, I suspect, create a situation like a valve lifter adjusted too loose. Too much clearance and you get a "click". Why the difference in the two pumps I'm not sure ..... different makers maybe. As far as the amount of spring tension Tom77....I had to put the pump arm against the workbench and really lean on it to move it. Pretty stout spring!
Old 02-23-2003, 06:21 PM
vettedreams
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: fuel pump noise? (goinbroke)

Yup, it was the fuel pump,no more tick"n. :yesnod: :yesnod: :hurray:

Get notified of new replies

To fuel pump noise?

Quick Reply: fuel pump noise?