C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a fun day at the track.

Old 02-23-2003, 04:25 AM
Maurice
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What a fun day at the track.

Cappy called me today at noon and told me the race track was open today early, it doesn't usually open until 7pm. l didn't have anything planned so i figured I might as well go. We also met Manuel who has a 77 orange vette with a kickin 406 in it. Also got to see SharktheHunter77 who never saw my car before today (he was starting to think I didn't really have a vette).

It was a totally different experience racing during the day compared to racing at night. You can see your car doing things that are hidden in the darkness.

We were parked next to a 2001 Red coupe that had a supercharger on it and he had his mechanic out there with him. He said he had ran 11's before but was running high 12's at 110 today. I got to line up against him once but he had problems off the line and had a 2.7 reaction time. It was the perfect time for him to screw up because my hood wasn't latched and it started opening as I was going down the track to the point where I couldn't see over it anymore. I had to slow way down and the hood came back down again, I guess it is like an airplane wing, I ran a 13.5 on that run but because his reaction was so bad I won. Anyway, a couple of runs later the 2001 coupe lost it on the top end and hit the wall head on and he totaled his car. He walked away without any injuries at all. I think that he lost pressure in one of his drag radials and it caused him to go sideways, I don't know for sure what the cause was but he hit the wall with the front of his car going over 100 mph.

The rest of the day was pretty cool just hanging out and shooting the breeze for many hours. There was live bands and car contest stuff also going on. The car contest was for the low riders to see how high the could make their cars "bounce". Several left on the back of towtrucks.

Anyhoot, we need to have more days like this out there. The best thing was that there were so many people out there, but so few people racing. I never had to wait more than 2-3 minutes in line to race (except when the car hit the wall)
Old 02-23-2003, 05:13 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: What a fun day at the track. (Maurice)

Maurice,
After my wife saw the accident, she decided she had enough racing for the day.....I was hoping she'd get the bug....then watching that car go out of control and into the wall....just took it away from her....She really enjoyed watching her numbers get better after each run.......Now I'm not sure if I can get her back out to race again......Bummers.
That Corvette will probably have some good parts left on it......however I don't think it will be salvageable...
That was really nice of you to wait around while Manuel ran your slicks.....I know you were ready to hit the road when he asked to borrow them.....You're a good man Charlie Brown :yesnod:
Yep.....I had a good day too.....got to drive the **** out of that AMG C-32...Too bad I didn't have slicks on her....I'm sure I could have pulled down some low 13's or maybe high 12's......
Anyway, I think the mechanic for that 2001 Red Vette ran the slicks under inflated....I don't care how much he denied it.....12 psi is not enough air to keep the tire bead in place.....My friend watched the car leave the line with the rims almost on the pavement. Looks like the left tire suffered rapid deflation at the end of the quarter.....wow, that's the last place to loose control :eek:
Thanks for coming out and making my day more interesting...... :seeya Cappy
Old 02-23-2003, 05:35 PM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: What a fun day at the track. (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

Sounds like you guys had a blast.

At Firebird a couple of weeks ago we had a guy run his 02 viper into the wall at the fast end of the track, the guy wasn't hurt that we heard, but the viper was.

BTW, I have a stock 82 and I just hollowed out the cat, do you think I could keep up with any of you on the track????? :D
Old 02-23-2003, 06:17 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

Default Re: What a fun day at the track. (Desertdawg)

You could keep up, we aren't very fast. :D
Old 02-23-2003, 06:27 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

After my wife saw the accident, she decided she had enough racing for the day.
After I told my wife about the accident, she decided I had enough racing for my life

That was really nice of you to wait around while Manuel ran your slicks.....I know you were ready to hit the road when he asked to borrow them.....You're a good man Charlie Brown :yesnod:
It was no problem, I was hoping he would run off with them so I could have his new tires he had. I can't wait until he gets his car dialed in, we will have another low 12/high 11 sec car out here. Manuel seems like a pretty cool dude for a Navy guy, hope he shows up here soon.

Yep.....I had a good day too.....got to drive the **** out of that AMG C-32...Too bad I didn't have slicks on her....I'm sure I could have pulled down some low 13's or maybe high 12's......
That looked like good fun!!! How often do folks let you take out their brand new supercharged Mercedes and run it into the ground at the racetrack.

Thanks for giving me a call and reminding me about it!! That was a blast just hanging out and shooting the breeze.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:35 PM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

You could keep up, we aren't very fast. :D
Great, now I want to cruise with you guys. would it be easier for me to drive there, or do ya'll want a road trip over here....

BTW, be warned, I think I am allergic to water.... :lol:
Old 02-23-2003, 08:29 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Maurice,
You think we could sneak over the fence and get some pictures of the wreck????? If it's still there. :leaving:
See if you can find out where they are going to send it.....I'd like to have some shots of the driver side rear tire....A picture lesson for the new guys attempting to run with low tire pressure using BFG Drag Radials or MT ET Streets...without tubes and screws to the rims. :seeya Cappy

What :eek: You told your wife????? Guess I'll be out there on the track all alone now.......Who's going to be my coach? :confused:

[Modified by 8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE, 3:36 PM 2/23/2003]
Old 02-23-2003, 08:58 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

I would love to go get some pics of the car, but I haven't gotten out of bed hardly at all today. Remember I said my neck was hurting last night? I can't even move my head at all today without having excruciating pain. I will have to try to make it to the Dr tomorrow to get some good drugs, tylenol just isn't cutting it.

I don't know what I was thinking about telling my wife, temporary insanity I guess. I am still so impressed that the guy walked away without a sratch after hitting a wall at over 100mph. This might be the thing that convinces me to sell both cars and get a C5. I had bad dreams about what would happen if that was me in my car. The wife was more concerned that insurance might not cover the accident, I will have to find out from our ins. company this week. You don't need me as a coach, you have reached your 11 sec goal!!!
Old 02-24-2003, 01:00 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Try some of those stick on patches......I had the sore neck after racing too....If you remember I thought it was the weight of the helmet+head+G-forces.....I used the stick on patches...Salompas and 1/4 asprin tablet. I stick a couple of patches on the windshield of my 8T1 Vette then take the asprin tablet with a quart of whiskey and stay in bed...... :D
Being inside C-5 with air bags is what saved Scott.......These fiber glass cars absorb a lot of energy in a high MPH impact....then the bags deploy adding to cushion the blow.....by the time your body hits something solid.....most of the energy has been released.......I'm putting an ejection seat in the 8T1 Bionic Vette.....I can watch under a fully deployed chute as the car goes into the wall..... should be able to get some nice video from up there.
:seeya Cappy
Old 02-24-2003, 01:32 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Cappy - I only use @ 9 pound on my 10X28 goodyear slicks. I use a tube and about 8 screws through the rims on each side. Over 10 psi your not getting a complete burn across the face of your tires because the pressure causes the tire to crown up in the middle.
Old 02-24-2003, 04:31 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Default Re: What a fun day at the track. (gkull)

gkull,
Yep that's what happened in this case.....the tired crowned up broke bead with rim....lost air.....however went flat at the end of the quarter mile where the centrifugal forces holding the tire up were less.....dropped the rear driver side to the ground....started taking the car left....driver started correcting right oversteer and was not able to recover.....car continued into the wall over 100 mph....very messy.....
I posted in the drag race section warning our racers to not under-inflate their tires to get better hook-up without using tubes and rim screws....I forgot to mention if you use tubes without screws....the tire can slip on the rim and rip the inflation valve off the tube....this will also cause a wild ride down the track. Hope everyone gets the message...... :seeya Cappy

[Modified by 8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE, 6:06 PM 2/24/2003]
Old 02-24-2003, 07:37 PM
sharkthehunter77
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any one have any contact info on that poor guy who totalled his ride? I am seriously considering buying his engine..sans supercharger. I dont think you can even get the vettes LS1 as a crate but i have seen the detuned F-body version. Anyone running around with a vette LS1 in their car, or is this not a good idea???
Old 02-24-2003, 08:01 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Default Re: What a fun day at the track. (sharkthehunter77)

Don't know how to contact this guy.....he probably wants to unload the whole she-bang......Wish we could get some pictures of the car....
Summit and Jeg's has these LS-1 engines in crate package....$5799.99 ......
I don't know of anyone with this engine in a C-3.... :seeya Cappy
Old 02-24-2003, 08:10 PM
vetteflame79
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

:cool: :steering: :auto:
Old 02-24-2003, 08:40 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: What a fun day at the track. (sharkthehunter77)

Any one have any contact info on that poor guy who totalled his ride? I am seriously considering buying his engine..sans supercharger. I dont think you can even get the vettes LS1 as a crate but i have seen the detuned F-body version. Anyone running around with a vette LS1 in their car, or is this not a good idea???
Sharkhunter77, get the '03 GM Performance Parts Catalog @ local Chevy dealer. Page #29 lists LS1/320HP version crate motor, while page #30 lists LS6/ZO6/405 HP crate motor... Happy hunting!!!!!
Old 03-07-2003, 02:21 AM
Swimmer
Racer

Maurice or Cappy, have you heard anything else about the car? I might be interested in buying the supercharger :D I have ran my BFG's at around 15psi and thought about going a little lower. Glad I didn't :eek:
Old 03-07-2003, 01:42 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

Default Re: What a fun day at the track. (Swimmer)

I haven't heard anything else about that car. I haven't been back out there either since to see if the car was still around where we could do a midnight parts run.

Get notified of new replies

To What a fun day at the track.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What a fun day at the track.