C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Twist on the Maaco question?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 09:20 PM
DollaGreen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Twist on the Maaco question?!

I dont now jack about paint but there seems to be a consensus that you get what you pay for. Im not ready to spend the big bucks this year on a new paint job...but am planning to get a decent one done either next year or the year after. Pondering this idea... Get the $500 Macco job now to cover the chips, scratches etc, and in a year or two get the good one. BIG QUESTION HERE is if any "damage" can be done by getting the cheap job. What most have said is that the Macco job will look OK for a while but not last. This would be OK with me, and $500 would be a small price to pay to cover up some blemishes...dont want to F things up for the future though. Thoughts?

[Modified by DollaGreen, 8:20 PM 2/22/2003]
Old 02-22-2003, 09:29 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New Twist on the Maaco question?! (DollaGreen)

well, whatevever you put on now will just have to be removed later. Have you tried buffing out the paint you have. I have had tremendous success with a buffing wheel and old faded paint. Joe
Old 02-22-2003, 09:30 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Odds are the $500 job may look worse than what you have now. Especially if you don't do any prep or masking yourself. You will almost certainly see overspray all over the place (emblems, moldings, mufflers, wheels etc).

Also, it is often more work to take a crappy paint job off than an old factory one.

I'd say don't do it and rather add the $500 to the nice paint you're getting later, making it even nicer...
Old 02-22-2003, 11:31 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you just have chips and scratches but the overall appearance is good (glossy, no peeling, etc.), do a touch up and polish on the paint. In the case where 95% of the paint is good, replacing it with a mediocre paint isn't a god idea. A skilled detailer can do a perfect match on the chips and make the scratches disappear for a couple hundred $. If the paint is really shot though, a low cost job like Maaco might be an improvement.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:54 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do like other suggest and suffer through the waiting period until you can get it done right, I am. :( I have many chips and a few stress cracks but since I am doing many mods I am going to wait till I have the car set up like I want then get it painted.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:55 AM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

You can wait it out and in the meantime if you want, you can try to learn to repair the small ones by working on out of the way ones. It won't make much difference, if you are going to paint later. Then after the paint job, if you get a new chip, you might be able to repair.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:05 AM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

If your talking about the car in your signature, i don't think you are going to improve on it with a MAACO job. It looks really good!

The MAACO job will look good from a distance but thats what you already have.

Old 02-23-2003, 02:19 PM
DollaGreen
Pro

Default Re: New Twist on the Maaco question?! (joe73vette)

Thanks for the responses...

JOE73: Can you detail the method you use...what compounds etc and what order...as I said I have no experience with this.

If anyone can point me to a buff/polish/wax howto that would be great also!

I have looked over the product options and there are anywhere from 3 to 9 step processes. Need some info on what you have found works.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:08 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Some other concerns with a cheap job are sanding off the sharp body lines, Sanding marks on the glass esp. rear window, Sanding on chrome rear bumpers, and as was already mentioned oversray and undertaping. To repair any of these miscues is very expensive. Craig
Old 02-24-2003, 02:56 AM
Magnum '82
Racer

Save your money and apply it to the "real" paint job.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:23 PM
Captain_Kaboom
Racer

Follow vettfixr's guide from his webpage:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vettfixr/page5.htm

I just did it, and the results are great. For less than $100 in the polish, orbital buffer, and terry towels- and the car regained some color and lots of shine!

Old 02-24-2003, 03:55 PM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: New Twist on the Maaco question?! (Captain_Kaboom)

I waited till I could have a good paint job. I really think the old job looked worse to me than to other people. It had rock chips and a big spider crack in the middle of the hood where it looked like somebody had left a socket on the air cleaner and closed the hood. Here's what it looks like now:

Edit: Cain't speull. :crazy:

[Modified by Mack76, 2:56 PM 2/24/2003]
Old 02-24-2003, 05:02 PM
RCB69L36
Drifting

JOE73: Can you detail the method you use...what compounds etc and what order...as I said I have no experience with this.

If anyone can point me to a buff/polish/wax howto that would be great also!

I have looked over the product options and there are anywhere from 3 to 9 step processes. Need some info on what you have found works.
Here is a web site my wife came across. In fact, my wonderful darling actually bought me some products that should help make my black vette shine again until I decide to have her repainted.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/

This site seems to be VERY comprehensive in exlaining all the things you'll want to try in order to improve the look of your vette.

Now, if it ever gets warm again, maybe I'll go out and try a few of the products she bought for me.

Good luck.

:cheers:
Old 02-24-2003, 06:22 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: New Twist on the Maaco question?! (Mack76)

I waited till I could have a good paint job. I really think the old job looked worse to me than to other people. It had rock chips and a big spider crack in the middle of the hood where it looked like somebody had left a socket on the air cleaner and closed the hood. Here's what it looks like now:

Edit: Cain't speull. :crazy:

[Modified by Mack76, 2:56 PM 2/24/2003]
Someone probably left the air cleaner stud/screw to high like they did on mine. :( Got the same spider crack you speak of.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:49 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 509 Likes on 309 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

I've had a number of cars painted at Maaco. And if you do a little per paint work you can get a decent paint job there. I've had both enamal and matalic jobs done over the years. Do your own sanding and filling and cracks on your own realine any door or hood gaps and strip as much chrome and emblems off as you can realisticly reapply on your own and let them do a good paint job and you'll be plenty satisfied. :seeya
Old 02-24-2003, 08:01 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New Twist on the Maaco question?! (killain)

I pretty much did what vetfixr said. I used a 1200 grit polishing compound for badly faded paint. You should be able to get away with an agressive car wax like Rain Dance. Joe

Get notified of new replies

To New Twist on the Maaco question?!

Quick Reply: New Twist on the Maaco question?!