C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got the rear spring out...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 07:55 PM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 183 Likes on 86 Posts

Default Got the rear spring out...

It's soooo heavy compared to the feather-weight VBP that's going back in.

I have managed to shear off the cam bolt on the driver's side strut rod, as well as the driver's side lower shock mount nut. It amazes me how tasks on one side of the car can be much different from the other side? Both the cam bolt and the lower shock mount nut on the passenger side came off without much extra effort.

The VBP kit came with the Smart Struts, so no big deal on the cam bolt, even though I probably have over one hour screwing with it, and it's still fused in pretty good. I think bubba might have used heat to bend the strut rod at one point and ended up fusing the inner bushing to the cam bolt.

The lower shock mount is looking like a $40 item at Ecklers.

Anyone know how to get the lower shock mounts out of the spindle?
Old 02-22-2003, 08:22 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Got the rear spring out... (foundvettelifeisgood)

Be careful, You will need a shock mount removal tool if you want to minimize damage to the threads on the bolt. Even with the tool the shock mount is probably rusted fast to the strut rod.

I sprayed PB Blaster on mine for a week and the bolt/strut rod interface was DRY. You might try fixing up a baggie and submerging the shock mount bolt / strut rod / bearing support in brake fluid (or other penetrant) for several days.

I broke one of the "ears" on the bearing support that the shock mount bolt goes through trying to pound the shock mount bolt out. I was going to have Van Steel rebuilt the trailing arms anyway, but that broken bearing support "ear" was an addditional $170.

If in doubt I would cut the shock mount bolt off to free the strut rod. If you are going to damage something the bolt is the least expensive to replace.

There are several threads on this topic - you might search the archives for additional information. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Got the rear spring out...