C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Pumps with Remote Reservoir?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 11:10 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Power Steering Pumps with Remote Reservoir?

Is anyone running a power steering pump with a remote reservoir using non serpentine belts (regular belts & pulleys)?

The stock PS pump on my 1980 is under the alternator and is a real PITA to check/fill. I would like a system that would be easier to service.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2003, 08:46 AM
Paul in Warren
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Power Steering Pumps with Remote Reservoir? (mapman)

IMO the easiest, cleanest, cheapest way to convert to a remote reservoir ps pump is to order in a late model Chevy/GMC van remote reservoir system from the dealer ($$$) or scrounge a salvage yard for cheaper prices.

*The new housing is just about perfectly round with a 3/4 hose port and will fit the older pumps perfectly
*The ps fluid compatible hose comes over length so you can trim to fit
*The new reservoir is just a black, round can that hold about a cup of fluid, utilizes a somewhat universal mounting tab and a regular GM fill cap - can be mounted most anywhere above the pump
*The regular remote reservoir has one return line fitting that you will connect your existing high side line to
*Hydroboost spec models have one extra return line fitting that can be capped off for future use (hint hint wink wink)

You would have to yank your stock pump and either install the complete later model pump (swap output fitting if necessary - swaps right in)(warning: newer pumps use metric mounting fasteners) or swap out just the housing. Then figure out where you would like your reservoir, mount it, connect the hoses and you are done. (easier said than done of course!) :chevy
Old 02-22-2003, 09:00 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Power Steering Pumps with Remote Reservoir? (mapman)

There are a number of GM vehicles that use the old P-pump (same basic design as Corvette) even today. Some of them have remote reservoirs. I am quite sure that the M-van (Chev Astro) and the Express Van as well as the old G-vans (Beauville) have remote reservoirs. They have a special round can on the pump and then hoses up to a remote reservoir mounted on the dash. I would try and get the round can off of the van P-pump and the remote reservoir and hoses. The problem will be if the pipes on the can and the pipes on the remote reservoir end up pointing in the right direction when you install them in the Corvette.

I wouldn't necessarily want to use the entire power steering pump because the pressure relief setting might be a bit too high for the Corvette valve and adapter power steering system. If you really want to use the entire van pump, it would be best to pull the flow control valve out of your Vette pump and exchange it with the valve in the van pump. The pressure relief setting is controlled by the flow control valve that is right behind the pump discharge fitting.

Also don't forget that all GM pumps today use an interference fit pulley. Corvette changed to the interference fit pulley starting in 1975. So earlier Vettes have the old style nut and keyway pump and pulley. The reservoirs or cans and flow control valves will exchange but not the pulleys old vettes to new pumps.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:36 AM
Paul in Warren
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Power Steering Pumps with Remote Reservoir? (Jim Shea)

Jim, thanks for adding the finer details that I should've expanded on, as they are key to a successful operation.

One more note - if just swapping the housings on the pumps, make sure to install a fresh pump seal o-ring and lightly polish the replacement pump housing (in the area of the pump to housing o-ring seal). If there are any burrs, corrosion or rough spots it will tear up the pump to housing sealing o-ring and drive you nuts with leakage issues. :banghead:

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering Pumps with Remote Reservoir?

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pumps with Remote Reservoir?