C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone plugged thier Oil Filter Bypass ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 08:41 PM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone plugged thier Oil Filter Bypass ??

Im contemplating doing this in order to get 100% oil filtration , along with using hi perf/hi burst pressure K%N 'Gold' Oil Filters ..plus installing an accessory low oil pressure cutout switch to kill the engine just in case . I dont use the car for drag racing - only on the street..but, i see this modification as doing all i can to protect the recent total engine rebuild i just had ...and thereby protecting my investment and increasing longevity.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks,

R.R.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:49 PM
Russ Bellinis
Racer

Default Re: Has anyone plugged thier Oil Filter Bypass ?? (Rumpity Rump)

Don't EVER rev it with the engine cold. If you can remember to let the engine warm up thoroughly before bring up the revs, it won't hurt anything. If you ever forget, and get on it with a cold engine, you will blow up the oil filter. I don't know that it helps all that much. Did you clean out your block good before you rebuilt it?
Old 02-21-2003, 10:35 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Why the F@ck would you do that?
:confused:
Old 02-21-2003, 10:57 PM
74vetteman
Pro

I have. As long as you use the k&n filter you'll be fine. Just be sure to change your filter often. Even John Lingenfelter recommends doing it in hi-po applications. At startup, when the oil is cold, just about all oil is bypassed. A forum member (I forget who) measured the opening point of the bypass and it was around 7-8 psi if I remember correctly. So it is always bypassing some oil (actually a fairly large amount). Just make sure your filter can handle the gallons per minute of your pump (K&N's will handle more than a high volume oil pump will ever put out).

In industrial filter applications, there is a differential pressure gauge that measures pressure before and after the filters. With a clean new filter there should be next to no pressure drop after the filter. As the filter slowly plugs up, the differential increases. Filters are changed when differential exceeds a certain amount. Usually not more than 6-8 psi. Changing your oil and filter frequently should eliminate excessive differential.

Keep an eye on your oil pressure gauge when the filter is fresh, and change oil and filter if you notice any pressure drop. I have never noticed any pressure drop in my car, but change oil and filter every 500 miles or so (I do drive the car hard though).
Old 02-21-2003, 11:03 PM
chewy
Racer

Default Re: Has anyone plugged thier Oil Filter Bypass ?? (74vetteman)

I have done it in race cars but you must be real carefull when the engine is cold you really should use the 2 quart truck filter. ( I got that right out of a Grumpy Jenkins book) It will save the lower end if you loose a cam or something on that order.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:06 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Has anyone plugged thier Oil Filter Bypass ?? (74 vert)

what it does is eliminates any chance of unfiltered oil getting into the motor,and yes ive done it to all my race motors but on cold days we had to let it idle real low first or we would blow off the oil filter ring.especially on our asphalt modified motor we ran 150 psi cold,and 60 warmed up,it would make a mess if i revved it up too much getting it out of the trailer. :rolleyes:

[Modified by patsnitrovette, 11:09 PM 2/21/2003]
Old 02-21-2003, 11:14 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Yep, that bypass is open more than you would like. I use the System 1 filter which has a washable stainless mesh filter sleeve and an aluminum case :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone plugged thier Oil Filter Bypass ??

Quick Reply: Has anyone plugged thier Oil Filter Bypass ??